Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Price for piece of mind

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Price for piece of mind

When all else fails, and the R-1 just will not run on today's pump gas...even with over the counter "boosters" it's nice to know one can have a stress free driving experience by purchasing Sunoco 110 leaded fuel[]....thank the lord big brother has not forced his "will" upon the Sun Oil Company.....but that stress-less feeling will cost ya.....now up to eight bucks a gallon.......

quote:Originally posted by Laemmle

When all else fails, and the R-1 just will not run on today's pump gas...even with over the counter "boosters" it's nice to know one can have a stress free driving experience by purchasing Sunoco 110 leaded fuel[]....thank the lord big brother has not forced his "will" upon the Sun Oil Company.....but that stress-less feeling will cost ya.....now up to eight bucks a gallon.......
    Try 100 LL at your local neighborhood airport

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

An 80 mile drive...one way!

Comment

Also, I believe that it is illegal for airports to sell their fancy gas for use in other than intended...... No? But if I had access to it I'd try it.

wagone and the R2 Avanti

Comment

Yah, there is no road tax charged to it, therefore it cannot be used on the road. I knew a feller bought 5 gallon a week for his Lawn Mower. He burned it 1/4 mile at at time.

Tom Bredehoft
          '53 Commander Coupe
          '60 Lark VI
          '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
          All three Indiana built cars

Comment

Ahhhh.... the good ol' days - when I worked the graveyard shift at Charlie Brown Airport near Atlanta![}]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe
            1957 President 2-dr
            1955 President State
            1951 Champion Biz cpe
            1963 Daytona project FS
            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

We have a local Phillips 66 with 110 Racing Fuel, But it can only be purchased 5 gal. at a time and can only be pumped into a gas can, not allowed to pump it into a car. I usually get some in the spring to spike the studes and the boat after sitting over the winter []

Studebaker Fever
              60 Lark
              51 Champion
              Phil
              Arnold, Missouri

Studebaker Fever
              60 Lark
              56 Power Hawk
              Phil Hendrickson
              Arnold, Missouri

Comment

Our local station up till two years ago also mandated that we play the game of the five gallon pail...then pull to the back of the station where a funnel would be offered to ease the hassle of filling via the five gallon pail.....for some reason the last two years no more games....pull up to the pump and stick that nozzle right into the gas tank neck.... and watch that wonderful liquid make it's way into that 21 gallon tank...I can remember the gas wars down south in the middle 60's.....off brand high-test...26 cents a gallon![] Now eight bucks.....what we do for our hobby!

Comment

Yes, I remember in the 60's crying about Sunoco 260 concentrate (105 octane) selling for the unheard of price of $.32 a gallon, then going over to Whiteman airport and buying Chevron 120/125 av gas about 5 gallons at $.35 a gal. to top it off. Then after the drags stopping of at Baby Beef Burger and getting a Burger, fries and shake for $.69

Comment

I worked part time for my now father inlaw, back in the late 60s and can remember gas prices during the gas wars being as low as $.17 per gal. and could fill my 63 Lark Daytona for less than $3.00 now it is over $3.00 per gal. and it is over $80.00 to fill my truck Oh for the Good Ole' Days [V]

Studebaker Fever
                    60 Lark
                    51 Champion
                    Phil
                    Arnold, Missouri

Studebaker Fever
                    60 Lark
                    56 Power Hawk
                    Phil Hendrickson
                    Arnold, Missouri

Comment

Yep! Run down to my local friendly crop duster fella and buy 103low lead 50 gal at the time pump 'er in the Avanti and go go go!

Comment

Just use regular old unleaded gas and put lead sinkers in it. <g>

Matthew Burnette, the 16 year old Stude nut. Hazlehurst, Georgia
                        63 Daytona HT (project, OHV 6 engine, soon to have dual exhaust)
                        51 2R16 dump truck (yes, I won the raffle)
                        52 Commander Starliner (basket case)(will trade for another Stude <g&gt
                        MANY more Studes in the family and a few parts cars.
                        Click my name and check out "Links".

Comment

Lead sinkers are an old wife's tale...

Comment

quote:Originally posted by mbstude

Just use regular old unleaded gas and put lead sinkers in it. <g>

Other than perhaps mentally for the owner/driver, this will do no good, and probably no harm, to the vehicle.

Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY
                            1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
                            1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

So why do it? What if the pos starts to roll around at the bottom?

Please, lets be real here.

Comment

Working...
                              X