This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shock Absorbers ??

What Shock Absorber do I ask for that has the helper spring on it?

Its for my 56J the normal shocks are REAR: SEARS 94060. GABRIEL (GAS) 82060hock

Please respond not like my question on wipers.

Thanks

Bill

Proud owner of the Hawk from Hell...... aka as a tow truck queen

I have not a clue, hope someone can help, a good question.

Comment

Bill
      I have removed several set of those "coil-spring" style over-load shocks through the years, to replace them with air-shocks. You can cross over the gas shock number to one for an air shock. The nice part is when you need to carry a full load, you pump em' up...when she's empty, you let her back down. You're not ridin' around empty with the back end hiked up too high. Just a thought.
      Dan Miller

Road Racers turn left AND right.

Comment

Bill, You can use Monroe Limited Edition Load Levelers P/N LE40497,
        There is also a parts pack P829 for the small pieces to shim everything up right. Some others are out there you could check interchange books since some people do not like Monroe.
        The interchange is
        50-51 Cadillac
        65-68 Cadillac
        57-59 Chev truck C&R series
        49-51 Ford full size wagon
        55-59 GMC truck C&R series 2WD
        60-62 GMC P-series pannel trucks and last but not least
        51-56 Studebaker all exc. station wagon

Comment

Would these suggested numbers work on a 1955 President State?

Comment

Curt, I have never had a 55 President State the Y5 or Y6 one with the wrap around the other without. But unless they put it on a D3 or D5 frame it should work.

Comment

I like the idea of the air shocks. Thanks. One of the most confusing thing is which way a GH (56) should "sit". I know mine is low in the rear, but if you look at factory photos, most show it with he rear covering the top of the tire. I have seen cars where the owner has lifted the rear end to where you can almost see the entire tire.

Bill

Proud owner of the Hawk from Hell...... aka as a tow truck queen

Comment

Bill - The rear tire should be about half the whitewall up into the rear quarter panel.

Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY
                1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
                1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Be careful of supporting too much of the cars weight with the shock
                  mounts, the crossmember that goes over the rear axle wasnt designed to
                  handle the weight of the vehicle, so its best to only use helper type
                  springs for a little help, not a LOT of help - if you catch my drift.

Tom
                  '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                  Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                  http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                  I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Working...
                  X