Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

bezel screws

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bezel screws

Anyone ever switch the screws holding parts like headlight / taillight bezels from phillips head over to something a little more theft proof, like torx or something?
    Just got these back from the chrome shop. Car has been dis-assembled for 9 years, and I have let a lot of the fasteners wander off. Need a good source for automotive type chrome screws.

Dan
    52 hardtop

Here's a good source. Click on thier catalog

http://www.restorationspecialties.com/

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Amazing the opportune time for this source to surface !!
      Dovetails right into my schedule...Thanks Bob, for nipping my search down to nothing.

'49 Champion Starlight Coupe
      1936 Miller Replica/ Stude driveline
      Fond du Lac,Wisconsin

Comment

Glad to help! Good folks to deal with. I've used them for over 20 years now.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President 2-dr
        1955 President State
        1951 Champion Biz cpe
        1963 Daytona project FS
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

For automotive chrome and stainless screws, nuts, and bolts of all types, try this:
          http://www.gardner-westcott.com

A number of the street rod suppliers carry the stuff in stock.

Gary Ash
          Dartmouth, MA
          '48 M5
          '65 Wagonaire Commander
          '63 Wagonaire Standard
          www.studegarage.com
          Gary Ash
          Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
          ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
          '48 M5
          '65 Wagonaire Commander
          '63 Wagonaire Standard
          web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Michidan

Anyone ever switch the screws holding parts like headlight / taillight bezels from phillips head over to something a little more theft proof, like torx or something?
            Just got these back from the chrome shop. Car has been dis-assembled for 9 years, and I have let a lot of the fasteners wander off. Need a good source for automotive type chrome screws.

Dan
            52 hardtop
            Torx screws on a Studebaker? Oh, the humanity! (covers eyes and whimpers)

Gee, I've been known to replace the Torx on my Suburban with Phillips screws, and I own numerous Torx screwdrivers, too. There just never seems to be one in my hand when I go to change a tail light bulb, that's all.

Seriously, though, if you want to use Torx screws, they are available. Perhaps McMaster-Carr would have them, in stainless, too. I really doubt they'd be very effective as a theft deterrent. You can buy actual security screws, too.

If you are in the USA, use Robertson screws (square socket). Scarcely anyone in the USA aside from wooden boat and furniture builders has ever seen one. Made in Canada, eh?

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
            Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Yea, anything but phillips would work. I realize I'm being over the top paranoid about it, and that nothing is fool proof. But I just got these bezels back from the chrome shop - and man it was expensive!!

It's worth a couple bucks for some screws that might slow a vandal down a minute I guess.

Dan
              52 hardtop

Comment

I've got some Tri-Star driver tips from my aviation days. Might be fitting, given Studebaker's short embracement of the tri-star emblem!
                Of course, finding the screws might prove a task. Ones you could use with your fresh chrome anyway.

Dan, did this shop do really nice work on your pot metal stuff? If so, who was it?

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe
                1957 President 2-dr
                1955 President State
                1951 Champion Biz cpe
                1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

I went with J&P custom plating, Portland, IN.
                  www.jpcustomplating.com

Yea, they did good. They have 5 levels of plating, I went with mid level (super street). These were typical 52 Stude parts from a car that never moved for 20 years. Pretty crappy. On one tail light bezel there are some little bumps in the finish. Outward pointies, not inward like a pit. Not sure why.
                  I figured with their decription of the super street chrome level I couldn't complain too much.

I have not gone elsewhere for price comparison, as i said this was $$. But they did a nice job.

Dan
                  52 hardtop

Comment

Working...
                  X