Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

dash colors

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • dash colors

    I have a 53 Commander hardtop coupe, red bottom, white top and beige vinyl interior. this is not the original colors of coral red and monterey biege. The dash is painted white, steering column and wheel are painted white. I want to repaint the dash and want to make it as "stock" as possible but willing to make it just look better. I believe that the dash should be beige as the interior is to carry the color around. The origianl intruments were a gun metal gray and the horinzontal strip panel behind the round intruments. can anyone provide any interiro photos or suggestions. the horizontal chrome piece with the insturments was rechromed but lost "detail"of switch indentifcation. I have another dash that I might use the horizontal strip (not suitable for re-chroming" and paint. Give me some help on what the original dash background colors were.
    I still cant believe how good you guys are at answering.
    Hey, by the way I was just in my first car show and won first place inthe 50s stock. Dont have a compelling desire to re-create stock but want to make it look nice. (also looking for a new steering wheel- horn ring is OK)
    Thanks again guys.
    mike DeLapp

    Mike DeLapp

  • #2
    By chance did they miss the inside of the glove box door?

    Dwain G.

    Comment


    • #3
      Inside of all the 53s was Loma Gray. If the car was made in South Bend, check the inside of the trunk.

      Tom Bredehoft
      '53 Commander Coupe
      '60 Lark VI
      '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
      All three Indiana built cars

      Comment


      • #4
        quote:Originally posted by Tom B

        Inside of all the 53s was Loma Gray. If the car was made in South Bend, check the inside of the trunk.

        Tom Bredehoft
        His car should have Loma Gray for the interior color, but not all '53s were Loma Gray. The Spring Special '53s had Monterey Beige metal trim. Since his car is not a Spring Special, the interior metal trim should be Loma Gray (sort of a mouse color).


        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY
        1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
        1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

        SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

        Comment


        • #5
          Would also have to agree with the "Loma Gray",
          as that was the color of choice originally on my
          53 Champion, though when David Carter refreshed
          the interior, he went with, what might be StudeDave's
          favorite color: "Battleship Gray" [8D] or close to it.
          Which is alot better...

          Glen Brose
          Chino Valley, AZ
          53 Champion Tudr Sedan

          Comment


          • #6
            quote:Originally posted by mdelapp

            I have a 53 Commander hardtop coupe, red bottom, white top and beige vinyl interior. this is not the original colors of coral red and monterey biege. The dash is painted white, steering column and wheel are painted white. I want to repaint the dash and want to make it as "stock" as possible but willing to make it just look better. I believe that the dash should be beige as the interior is to carry the color around. The origianl intruments were a gun metal gray and the horinzontal strip panel behind the round intruments. can anyone provide any interiro photos or suggestions. the horizontal chrome piece with the insturments was rechromed but lost "detail"of switch indentifcation. I have another dash that I might use the horizontal strip (not suitable for re-chroming" and paint. Give me some help on what the original dash background colors were.
            I still cant believe how good you guys are at answering.
            Hey, by the way I was just in my first car show and won first place inthe 50s stock. Dont have a compelling desire to re-create stock but want to make it look nice. (also looking for a new steering wheel- horn ring is OK)
            Thanks again guys.
            mike DeLapp
            As mentioned by other posters, for most '53s the correct color is Loma Gray. In the '60s I even wrote Studebaker for the formula and they were unable to furnish it. Then I found by accident that the '61 Lark color, Autumn Haze, is virtually identical (of course Autumn Haze may be hard to find too).
            Here is a picture of my '53 Commander Starliner dash.


            Paul Johnson
            '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
            '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
            '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
            Museum R-4 engine
            Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
            '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

            Comment


            • #7
              quote:Originally posted by Dwain G.

              By chance did they miss the inside of the glove box door?

              Dwain G.
              They got it all white so no sign of mouse grey. I have an old instrument panel that is probably the color. WOW!. Not really attractive. I still think I may extend the beighe seat, door panel trim around the dash and continue the instruments the stock color. Thanks a millionn for you help


              Mike DeLapp

              Comment


              • #8
                quote:Originally posted by 53k

                quote:Originally posted by mdelapp

                I have a 53 Commander hardtop coupe, red bottom, white top and beige vinyl interior. this is not the original colors of coral red and monterey biege. The dash is painted white, steering column and wheel are painted white. I want to repaint the dash and want to make it as "stock" as possible but willing to make it just look better. I believe that the dash should be beige as the interior is to carry the color around. The origianl intruments were a gun metal gray and the horinzontal strip panel behind the round intruments. can anyone provide any interiro photos or suggestions. the horizontal chrome piece with the insturments was rechromed but lost "detail"of switch indentifcation. I have another dash that I might use the horizontal strip (not suitable for re-chroming" and paint. Give me some help on what the original dash background colors were.
                I still cant believe how good you guys are at answering.
                Hey, by the way I was just in my first car show and won first place inthe 50s stock. Dont have a compelling desire to re-create stock but want to make it look nice. (also looking for a new steering wheel- horn ring is OK)
                Thanks again guys.
                mike DeLapp
                As mentioned by other posters, for most '53s the correct color is Loma Gray. In the '60s I even wrote Studebaker for the formula and they were unable to furnish it. Then I found by accident that the '61 Lark color, Autumn Haze, is virtually identical (of course Autumn Haze may be hard to find too).
                Here is a picture of my '53 Commander Starliner dash.


                Paul Johnson
                '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
                '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
                '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
                Museum R-4 engine
                Mike DeLapp

                Comment


                • #9
                  \
                  Thanks for the photo. Is the inside window trim the same color as the dash? It appears so in your picture. Mine has been chromed. Looks pretty good chromed although the same color carrying around the window might be better. Hmmmmmm, thinking it over
                  Mike DeLapp
                  quote:Originally posted by 53k

                  quote:Originally posted by mdelapp

                  I have a 53 Commander hardtop coupe, red bottom, white top and beige vinyl interior. this is not the original colors of coral red and monterey biege. The dash is painted white, steering column and wheel are painted white. I want to repaint the dash and want to make it as "stock" as possible but willing to make it just look better. I believe that the dash should be beige as the interior is to carry the color around. The origianl intruments were a gun metal gray and the horinzontal strip panel behind the round intruments. can anyone provide any interiro photos or suggestions. the horizontal chrome piece with the insturments was rechromed but lost "detail"of switch indentifcation. I have another dash that I might use the horizontal strip (not suitable for re-chroming" and paint. Give me some help on what the original dash background colors were.
                  I still cant believe how good you guys are at answering.
                  Hey, by the way I was just in my first car show and won first place inthe 50s stock. Dont have a compelling desire to re-create stock but want to make it look nice. (also looking for a new steering wheel- horn ring is OK)
                  Thanks again guys.
                  mike DeLapp
                  As mentioned by other posters, for most '53s the correct color is Loma Gray. In the '60s I even wrote Studebaker for the formula and they were unable to furnish it. Then I found by accident that the '61 Lark color, Autumn Haze, is virtually identical (of course Autumn Haze may be hard to find too).
                  Here is a picture of my '53 Commander Starliner dash.


                  Paul Johnson
                  '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
                  '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
                  '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
                  Museum R-4 engine
                  Mike DeLapp

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I didn't like that pinkish grey either. On my '53 Chamption K I took a small piece of the new grey headliner to the paint store and matched it with some "generic" grey using their paint chip chart for grey shades. Its more of a neutral grey now and also matches the grey part of the 2-tone grey/black door panels and the backs of the front seats. From unfaded bits of the original headliner (inside the seams), the new one is close in color. The original interior grey vinyl never matched the grey metal parts when new I expect. I've crawled through enough '53's in old 'yards to know that loma grey gets more pinkish the more it fades.

                    Jeff in ND

                    '53 Champion Hardtop

                    Jeff in ND

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Since you are color changing your car to red and white, perhaps you would prefer to go the rest of the way to a Spring Special model with Monterey Beige interior metal trim. Hopefully, you do not have a '53 from the first two-thirds of the model year, but then you do not seem too concerned about originality.

                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY
                      1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
                      1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

                      SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Window garnish moldings front and rear should be the same as the dash, as are the inner edges of the doors around the windows. The visors above the instruments are a darker brownish gray with a gold underside.

                        I haven't gotten around to painting my interior yet but have had the color on the glovebox scanned. I'll check in the shop tomorrow and share that scan.

                        Brad
                        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                        33 Rockne 10
                        51 Commander Starlight
                        53 Commander Starlight
                        previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser
                        "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

                        Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                        sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          And the winner is...

                          DuPont computer scan of the inside of my glovebox door shows the closest current match to be a 2000 Nissan underhood color Gray-Taupe.
                          Code M6012K Alternate CF01.

                          I pulled the DuPont chipsheet and the match is about as perfect as you can get. For the mid-gloss finish, use the M6012JV formula with the 305S flatener. For a nearly flat finish use 304S flatener.

                          If your paint jobber is not DuPont, they should be able to mix your color from their manufacturer's database.

                          Brad
                          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                          33 Rockne 10
                          51 Commander Starlight
                          53 Commander Starlight
                          previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser
                          "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

                          Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                          sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X