Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

OEM partial flow oil filter opinion poll

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nate,

Go to a good graphic arts house in your town or a large town near you...they usually carry a full supply of drafting tools artistic supplies ect..here in NYC such items are common.

Comment

Dan,

I had a canister on my '62 that I believe was the factory Walker-made HD filter option (it fit right on the early '62 filler stack) and the gaskets supplied with the cartridges do not fit that lid.

ISTR but it's been a while, that the gaskets supplied *do* work with the Fram-made canisters on earlier cars.

nate

--
      55 Commander Starlight
      62 Daytona hardtop
      http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
      --
      55 Commander Starlight
      http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

The last one I did, I put steel lines on the filter. Some things, you can improve upon.

This 75K Champion engine that I recently pulled the pan off of - it had an inch deep layer of grud (Grunge-Mud)in the well of the pan! Would a filter have avoided some of that? Hard to say - not knowing the history of the car and how it was serviced. But I'd bet it would have. Of course, the type of oil used and the frequency of change could have had a bearing as well.

Truth is, I've got an early V8 that's been rebuilt and I'm gonna install it without a filter. We'll see how it goes....
        My first new car, a '61 Cruiser did not have a filter. I drove it 65,000 trouble-free miles before trading it on my Wagonaire. In those days, if you didn't have a filter, you simply changed your oil every 1,000 miles (and you were supposed to grease them every 1,000 miles too).

Paul Johnson
        '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
        '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
        '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
        Museum R-4 engine
        Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
        '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

I'm afraid I also put on a close but incorrect gasket on my 55 Commander. Only one quart of oil makes a lot of mess.

Paul R

Comment

Working...
          X