This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The oil line from right lower block fitting to my 1950 Champs filter input
    was trash. I bought a new one from Stude Intl. but it did not have the restrictor
    like the original. I have it installed but fear a lot of oil is flowing without the restrictor
    and may be starving the front bearing. No local auto stores carry a restrictor fitting.
    Should I plug offf the filter or does anyone know where I can find a line with restrictor
    or fitting adapter. I like keeping the filter since the car is factory configured for shows.

Dick Curtis
    1950 Starlight
    1963 Hawk GT
    The 1950 Champion Starlight
    Santa Barbara
    CA

Comment

I know that all Diesel Semi Tractors as well as many industrial engines have both full flow systems and bypass systems. The full flow cannot filter out the fine carbon particles since the media required would cause a full flow filter to plug up quickly and blow the by-pass valve. So on a dual system the full flow filter catches the dirt and any metal particles and the by-pass picks up the carbon and other microscopic particles. That's one of the reasons why a Semi Tractor Diesel can go 10K+ miles between oil changes

[8D]

Restore it, don't replace it.Keep the Studebaker reproduction industry going

Comment

Most decent auto parts stores do have the .060" orifices. Have them look in the rack with all of the other small brass brake/hydraulic line fittings. It will have a male thread on one end, a female thread on the other, mates with 3/16 hydraulic (brake) tube fittings. The orifice looks like this:

Just so I wouldn't have brass fittings sticking way out from the Champ 6 block, I put a right angle adapter in first, then the orifice, then the 3/16 steel tubing to the filter canister. I wasn't comfortable with flex hose running over the engine to the filter.

Note, however, that some of the canisters have the orifice built into them. I'm not sure how you tell if one is internal to your canister.

Gary Ash
        Dartmouth, MA
        '48 M5
        '65 Wagonaire Commander
        '63 Wagonaire Standard
        www.studegarage.com
        Gary Ash
        Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
        ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
        '48 M5
        '65 Wagonaire Commander
        '63 Wagonaire Standard
        web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

I haven't tried putting a bypass filter on my truck's Champion Six since buying it (haven't driven it enough to tell anyway), so I have no opinion yet. Some previous owner had removed the bypass filter and tubing already.

But I did read an article in the current issue of Classic Trucks. They explained the whole partial flow system, with diagrams, and concluded that they didn't filter enough oil to be worth adding one back if it was gone from your engine.

On the other hand, AMSOIL sells a bypass filter kit that they are quite proud of, should you want to spend over $100 for it.

[img=left]http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Current_Avacar.gif[/img=left] - DilloCrafter

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
          The Red-Headed Amazon

Paul Simpson
          "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
          The Red-Headed Amazon
          Deep in the heart of Texas

Comment

www.castlebrookcorp.comhttp://www.tp410.com/http://www.studegarage.com/images/ot...lter_flow2.xls
            If you're really into the linear differential equations of how the filter cleans up the oil, see http://www-rohan.sdsu.edu/~jmahaffy/...e/linde536.htm

While the partial flow filter doesn't get the particles instantaneously, it does get them eventually. While many particles do get recircu
            Gary Ash
            Dartmouth, Mass.

'48 M5
            '65 Wagonaire Commander
            '63 Wagonaire Standard

Comment

quote:
              --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Originally posted by gordr
              Well, for what it's worth, you can put me firmly in the #2 camp. Bypass oil filters were standard equipment on all military vehicles that I'm familiar with, and I doubt the DOD would have specified filters if they weren't expected to be effective.
              --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

sbca96 says: "Currently working at a company that deals quite a lot with the DOD,
              this statement makes me chuckle."

I'm with Tom over this statement. I've worked for too many military-industrial giants to not have seen superfluous stuff sold to unca Sam!

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe
              1957 President 2-dr
              1955 President State
              1951 Champion Biz cpe
              1963 Daytona project FS
              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Well, for all of us "common sense" thinkers, who know what we know from experience, not a high IQ, that pretty much verifys what most of us said. You cannot dispute the FACTS !! [^]Very well none Gary!
                Anyway; what do those kids at Classic Trucks know, anyway![xx(]
                Rich.

quote:[i]
                While the partial flow filter doesn't get the particles instantaneously, it does get them eventually. While many particles do get recirculated through the pump, much of the oil just gets dumped back into the sump and doesn't get to the bearings. It makes sense to me to put the filter in!
                Gary Ash
                Dartmouth, MA
                StudeRich
                Ferndale, WA
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Gary,
                  Quit confusing us with facts

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

I think that the best way to sum this up is this :

If you dont have the partial flow assembly for your car, then it is
                    probably not worth sourcing one to add, if you find a good deal on
                    one then go ahead and add it (with NEW lines).

If you have one on your car already, make sure that the lines are in
                    good shape, and keep it, since its not worth removing unless the lines
                    to it are questionable in condition (remember that heat cracks CAN
                    start from the inside also).

If you have one of the later full flow, then be happy you dont have to
                    worry about this issue at all.

Tom
                    '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                    Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                    I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

I do have a confession to make: when I put the M5 truck together and started the engine for the first time, I had neglected one small detail. I forgot to tighten the bolt on the top of the oil filter canister. That's my "experience" in knowing that a whole lot of oil goes into the filter housing - and OUT, too, when the bolt is loose. I spent days cleaning up the engine compartment!

Gary Ash
                      Dartmouth, MA
                      '48 M5
                      '65 Wagonaire Commander
                      '63 Wagonaire Standard
                      www.studegarage.com
                      Gary Ash
                      Dartmouth, Mass.

'48 M5
                      '65 Wagonaire Commander
                      '63 Wagonaire Standard

Comment

Been there, done that, on a '56 Golden Hawk... what a mess. Also it seems to be near impossible to get new gaskets for those lids, is there such a thing as a little tool that holds a razor blade or X-acto blade and will cut perfect circles in gasket paper? I seem to have a need for something like that on a regular basis.

nate

--
                        55 Commander Starlight
                        62 Daytona hardtop
                        http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
                        --
                        55 Commander Starlight
                        http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

OK, were these filters a delete option on Studes or were they standard? For the couple of bucks difference (and yes, a couple of bucks went lots further in the 50s)why were they not on every Stude that left the factory? Certainly by the 50s, enough evidence was at hand to prove the value given all the testy-monials and "proof" offered here.[}]
                          I've come across enough Studes in my 33 years of playing with them that DIDN'T have filters on them or evidence that they'd ever HAD filters on them.
                          I'm not here to say they're a BAD thing, but this is another one of those cases where it's made to sound like you're flirting with disaster if you don't have one on your Stude.
                          Most of our pampered babies see only a mere FRACTION of the miles they would've seen when they were bought new and used for honest-to-gosh daily transportation - not just to the office on Fridays if the weather's right. We have better oils and fewer miles. Changing your oil at regular intervals will do more than a filter can ever hope to do.
                          That's OK, I'm used to being behind the ->[8]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                          1960 Larkvertible V8
                          1958 Provincial wagon
                          1953 Commander coupe
                          1957 President 2-dr
                          1955 President State
                          1951 Champion Biz cpe
                          1963 Daytona project FS
                          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Nate,
                            Don't those cartridge filters come with a lid gasket and the small flat rubber washer for under the element?[?] IIRC, the last Fram I bought had those in the box.
                            Dan

Comment

Well, I was determined to stay out of this thread, because I saw this as one of those 'emotional' issues with a lot of folks, similar to the Stude engine Vs Chevy engine threads. But, since I often don't listen to the sensible side of my brain, here goes<G>!

Gary has laid out some excellent information. In my job with a large utility company, I deal (among many other things) with oil cleanliness and oil filtration for large turbine-generator sets. For example, at my generating station, each main turbine/generator unit has a 15,000 gallon oil reservoir for bearing lubrication. This oil is kept clean by a bypass filtering system. Yes, just like a partial flow filter system, just a lot bigger. Running some quick numbers in my head, the ratio of total oil flow out of the main shaft driven pump to the bypass filter flow is very similar to the numbers Gary quoted for the automobile oil pump versus the partial flow filter.

Yes, bypass oil filters do work, and are very effective. As someone else noted, the filtering efficiency of a filter (absolute micron size and beta ratio is how filter capability is generally expressed) can be much better on a bypass type system than a full flow system. And as Gary noted, a properly designed bypass system will filter the total gallons thru many times in 24 hours.

So, I really believe that what we can glean from all of this discussion is that the partial flow filters ARE effective. Are they effective enough to find a partial flow system for a car that does not have one? IMHO, yes! In fact, I am doing that right now on my new '54 Champion sedan. I acquired a partial flow oil filter from a fellow member, and I am in the process of installing it right now.

Paul (my opinion, for what it's worth) Warta

Paul

Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: http://hometown.aol.com/r1skytop/myhomepage/index.html
                              Paul
                              Winston-Salem, NC
                              Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

OK, were these filters a delete option on Studes or were they standard?
                                Bob/MrBiggs - They were never a "delete option." They were standard for some years and optional for other years. For examples;
                                1948-1949 a large capacity oil cleaner was standard,
                                1953 a Fram oil filter was a special equipment item, under accessories,
                                1961-1962 an oil filter was an accessory.
                                I didn't research to see when, between 1949 and 1953, the oil filter became optional equipment (an accessory).

Gary L.
                                1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
                                1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                                Gary L.
                                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                                X