Rust question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rust question

Have any of you guys/gals that has used the POR-15 rust preventer in a spray gun to apply it? It says that you can use some brands of lacquer thinner so you can use it in a spray gun. Anyone besides me tried it with a spray gun? I think it will get into the hard to reach areas if I spray it.

Randy_G
    South Bend or Bust 2007!
    God I miss chrome on cars.
    This website is for sale! automotivehistoryonline.com is your first and best source for information about automotivehistoryonline. Here you will also find topics relating to issues of general interest. We hope you find what you are looking for!

I don't recommend it. I did the frame on my '53 with POR15 in a spray gun. I used a respirator but the fumes were horrible and made me dizzy. The mist floats in the air and settled on everything. It dries slowly so the mist was wet when it landed on things and cured. I still have black specks on stuff 8 yrs later.... I think if I were determined to do it again, I would get a oxygen tank respirator instead of the charcoal and more carefully mask off the paint area to prevent mist from drifting. I have found that the stuff flows pretty well when using a brush and doesn't really leave brush marks in the surface like rustoleum or the like would.

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

I echo Jeff's observations![^]

Miscreant adrift in
      the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

i sprayed it.i sprayed my hawk with the lark uncovered in the garage with no overspray landing on it. drop your air psi to compensate the overspray. in my opinion it does brush on alot better. but as you said "hard to reach areas". it sprays well right out of the can with a 2.0 tip. make sure you clean your gun thoughly when dun. pull it all apart clean it and let it soak to be sure you have nothing left in it. i sprayed mine with the lark uncovered in the garage with no overspray landing on it.
        the best thing about por-15 is it makes a turd look like a diamond. seriously my wife were one around her neck.....

Erin Hays
        1961 Hawk
        1962 Lark
        1963 Wagonaire

Comment

Buy a real cheapo HVLP gun and you can spray. BUT I WOULD NOT DO IT. POR-15 has isocynates in it, and they can play havoc with your lungs and skin. Strange thing with them you don't know the level of toxicity you can tolorate until you pass it.

Once you pass it, walking by a freshly painted car can cause breathing problems, skin ulcers and bleeding.

The only thing that kills isocyanates is COLD water.

BG

Comment

OK I'm having second thoughts on spraying now, I won't go into details but I tend to shy away from things that affect my breathing. [xx(] I have a quart and I think that I'm just going to brush it on. If I run out I'll buy more. All I want to do this weekend is the frame and the front and rear suspension. So I can put the body back on and get the motor and tranny mounted. We shall see, Thanks Guys! [8D]

Randy_G
            South Bend or Bust 2007!
            God I miss chrome on cars.
            This website is for sale! automotivehistoryonline.com is your first and best source for information about automotivehistoryonline. Here you will also find topics relating to issues of general interest. We hope you find what you are looking for!

Comment

I WOULD NOT DO IT. POR-15 has isocynates = a part of the cyanide family, as in 1 drop can kill you! IF you were to spray it, use a "fresh air mask" and do it in a down draft paint booth, buy a cheap spray gun, and clean it or throw it away when done. I hate to sound like a broken record, but, ---

Jim
              "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
              their Memorials!

Comment

As far as I can recall, isocyanates have been declared carcogenic in some places. It will do more than clear your nostrils.
                /H

Comment

quote:Originally posted by hank63

As far as I can recall, isocyanates have been declared carcogenic in some places./H
                  Prop 65
                  Everything we sell needs to state, this product is known to cause birth defects, cancer, respitory injury, in California.

We cannot say
                  It does not cause birth defects, cancer or respitory disease in anyother states though.

Seriously there is no known resperator for isocyantes other than a postive flow fresh air breather, and a disposable suit. DuPont as others now have clears that are "iso-free" but do not warrnatee the finish for more then a few years. The worst of them is the URO series, or aircraft paint like Emron.

BG

Comment

since it has become an issue i am post the MSDS sheet for por-15 its lengthy but hey it makes everyone useing it completely aware and how to handle it.
                    erin

SECTION 1: IDENTIFICATION Catalog No. (N/A)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Product Name: POR-15 Rust Preventive Paint

Synonyms: POR-15 Rust Paint, POR-15 Paint

Manufacturer Name: POR-15, Inc.

General Use: Paint

Product Description: Isocyanate Prepolymer based on MDI

Address: P.O. Box 1235

Morristown NJ 07962-1235
                    Email: support@por15.com

Comment

Excellent, just what we said, one error, once opened, and then resealed, can cannot be re-opened under any known method, other than punctruing.

The stuff is excellent, the stuff is bad for you, and I truly hope you scanned that, and not typed it.

POR-15 has kept the HFH together since 1987.

BG

Comment

I copied and pasted. POr-15 holds my hawk together too.
                        i use mason jars. i buy it by the gallon then seperate out into sealed mason jars. then when you pour it out of a mason jars clean the jar lip well with a rag and thinner. i have only had 1 lid stick since doing it this way. i have por-15 a total of 6 cars frame and pans and anywhere else that is prone to rust.
                        its good stuff, but i buy brushes by the box full

Erin Hays
                        1961 Hawk
                        1962 Lark
                        1963 Wagonaire

Comment

also store in my garage refrigerator it keeps longer according to POR-15 site.

Erin Hays
                          1961 Hawk
                          1962 Lark
                          1963 Wagonaire

Comment

How much would it take to do a 4 door floor pan (brushing)?

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                            Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

I did the Hawk with less than 3 quarts, that was every nook and cranny including the chassis I could get to.

BG

Comment

Working...
                              X