Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

63 Hawk Firewall Brake Fluid Reservoir-??????

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 63 Hawk Firewall Brake Fluid Reservoir-??????

I have started restoration of a 63 Hawk GT. On the right side,upper part of firewall,
    there is a cannister and the tubing coming from it has a tag "DO NIOT USE"
    Underneath the car I see the tube disconnected. Did it originally go into the Master Cylinder?
    Perhaps the Master Cylinder(MC) was replaced at some time and did not accept filling from the cannister. Anyone know how, where this tubing connected to the MC? I like the thought of being able to fill the accessable cannister. If I replace the MC in order to use the firewall filling, is it only special to the 63 cars? T'is a puzzlement-manual no help.
    Thanks for helping.

Dick Curtis
    50 Starlight champion
    63 Hawk GT in process

It was used on all disk brake cars because
    of the added fluid needs of the disk.
    The line ran across the firewall and down to a elbow on the MC. See the pix on my GT.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
    Studebaker News Group

64 Daytona HT
    64 R2 4 speed Challenger
    63 R2 4 speed GT Black
    63 GT Hawk
    62 Daytona HT

JDP Maryland

Comment

This begs the question, "Does your car have factory disc brakes?" If yes, then you should be using the reservoir. The only real difference at the master cylinder is the special cap needed to plumb the line to the other reservoir.

Tim K.
      '64 R2 GT Hawk
      Tim K.
      \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

Thanks for the help-great photo too. Yes, the car has factory disc brakes. I haven't had the car high enough to get a look at the MC. Hopefully a former owner left the elbow or plugged the input. I'm recovering from eye surgery so can't get a good look at the MC. When I can,
        perhaps I can identify if the MC is original. When my right eye recovers, I will order a new
        MC and install if that will allow use of the firewall reservoir.
        Anyone have a photo of the MC and fluid input line/elbow?
        The 1950 Champion Starlight
        Santa Barbara
        CA

Comment

it doesn't go directly into the MC, it actually goes into the *cap.* I don't have a pic, but the cap you need would look just like the original one BUT would not be vented, and would have a tapped hole (pipe thread) in the top for a standard 90 degree pipe fitting. Now whether that was a hose barb or a female flare on the other end... I disremember.

nate

--
          55 Commander Starlight
          62 Daytona hardtop
          --
          55 Commander Starlight
          http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Those m/c caps are difficult to find. Most new m/c's now come with a plastic cap that is useless in this application. By all means save the original cap on your old m/c. I have found 3 of the original m/c caps from the disc brake equipped, that were cracked around the flange where it meets the "nut" part. Hard to see, but they leak. If there is a source for the "original" style metal caps,I sure would like to know, you can drill and tap a hole for the rt. angle fitting.
            Dan

Comment

I recieved an nos one from SASCO a while ago on E-Bay for $25. Try them.
              Klif
              55 Speedster/Street Machine
              63 Avanti R2
              64 Convertible R1

Comment

Thanks, Klif. I'll call Dennis.
                Dan

Comment

Working...
                X