This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the sceptre model

anyone no where those fancy built 1962 models went sopposely was for the 1966 year if stude didnt close down also how to get pics of them they seem so cool i herd ten were built by sherwood i think ; and did they have r2 motors fitted i saw a pic once only long ago also the supposed lark etc these cars were going to be so different look so different wat engine did they put in them cheers if anyone can help

quote:Originally posted by pete

anyone no where those fancy built 1962 models went sopposely was for the 1966 year if stude didnt close down also how to get pics of them they seem so cool i herd ten were built by sherwood i think ; and did they have r2 motors fitted i saw a pic once only long ago also the supposed lark etc these cars were going to be so different look so different wat engine did they put in them cheers if anyone can help
    These cars were designed by Brooks Stevens and were in the Auto Museum named after him, but it seems to have closed. I feel sure the vehicles would exist, they'd be unlikely to have destroyed them.

John Clements
    Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
    John Clements
    Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

According to Wikipedia the Sceptre prototype is in the Studebaker National Museum in South Bend Indiana.

John Clements
      Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
      John Clements
      Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

The later version of the Sceptre and the wagon concept vehicles are both in the Studebaker Museum. These cars are pictured in "Studebaker Cars" by James H. Maloney, a good reference if you can get a copy.
        These cars are pretty neat and as you might expect, predicted a lot of the design trends for the late '60's and early '70's.

Tim K.
        '64 R2 GT Hawk
        Tim K.
        \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

These Studebaker concept cars were "liberated" from Studebaker by Brooks Stevens. Recently, they were purchased from the Stevens estate by the Studebaker National Museum, even though the SNM should have owned them in the first place (with the donation of vehicles from Studebaker Corp. to the City of South Bend).

Gary L.
          1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
          1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

By the way, Pete, are you anywhere near Invercargill? <G> Burt Munro rocked!

Comment

Gary, do you know if these are the only concept cars of this series to survive? Maloney mentions an earlier version of the Sceptre. Has it disappeared?

Tim K.
              '64 R2 GT Hawk
              Tim K.
              \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

quote:Originally posted by GTtim

Gary, do you know if these are the only concept cars of this series to survive? Maloney mentions an earlier version of the Sceptre. Has it disappeared?

Tim K.
                '64 R2 GT Hawk
                I believe that there were three concept cars of this vintage. I don't know anything about "an earlier version of the Sceptre." I do not own Maloney's book, so I do not know specifically what you/he is refering to. I believe that Maloney worked for Studebaker for a couple of Summers in the early '50s, not when Brooks Stevens was doing his work for Studebaker. I am not trying to imply that he couldn't know about the concept cars. I believe that I last saw the concept cars in 1976. The three concept cars were a four door sedan, a wagon and the Sceptre-a two door. Brooks Stevens had other updates, like for the Hawk, but I don't believe that any of them went beyond drawings.

Gary L.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I saw the Sceptre at the '94 International in Minneapolis. Regret not taking a good look at it. Some guys were pushing it out of the hotel hall area it was displayed in to the freight elevator I presume. Does it have a engine or was it driveable?

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

Thanks for the reminder. I also saw the Sceptre in 1994. It was 1976 when I last saw all three concept cars and out of doors, like they belong. Brooks Stevens gave a nice talk about the 1964 models at the SDC International Convention in 1994.

Gary L.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Anyone got pics?

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)

Comment

Somewhere I do have a picture or two of the Sceptre at Minneapolis. That was a nice show - and the best part was my parents lived 2 miles away from the hotel.

If I can locate the picture I'll post it.
                        "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

That'd be great! [8D]

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)

Comment

im sure i read there was 10 prototypes made all up but thanks guys for your imput about the sceptre

Comment

im sure i read there was 10 prototypes made all up but thanks guys for
                              your imput about the sceptre
                              cruz 65

Comment

Working...
                              X