Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Cat Whiskers

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    THANKS TO ALL
    I am now loaded with info and enthusiasm.

Walt

'49 Starlight Coupe
    1936 Miller Replica/ Stude driveline

Leave a comment:

• Roscomacaw
    replied
    Scott, my 66 Wagonaire didn't have little bits of whisker like that.[:I]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS

Leave a comment:

• CHAMP
    replied
    Walt, the clip I used I ordered with the cat whiskers from Stephen Allen. Your right you don't have to drop the window but it is a tight fit and does require caution! Champ

Leave a comment:

• garyash
    replied
    If you want to have the whiskers put in with what looks like staples, use some heavy galvanized steel or stainless steel wire. Flip the cat whisker over and place against the door, then mark the back side of the cat whisker where the staple holes in the door are, then drill the cat whisker. Or, just drill new holes through cat whisker and door. Cut pieces of wire about 3-4 inches long, bend (not crimp)in half and poke the ends through the cat whisker and door. Pull the ends up tight with pliers, then twist just until tight. Fold ends of wires to side to avoid scratching windows.

Gary Ash
    Dartmouth, MA
    '48 M5
    '65 Wagonaire Commander
    '63 Wagonaire Standard
    www.studegarage.com

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Champ
    What type or style clip did you use on the outside whisker of your 48?
    This seems functional since one would not need to drop the glass to
    install pop rivets, in the center portion which is hindered by the window. How was the look appearance wise?
    Thanks for your viewpoint.
    Walt

'49 Starlight Coupe
    1936 Miller Replica/ Stude driveline

Leave a comment:

• tbredehoft
    replied
    Scott, you take the window out, (you probably already have.) Using a flat screwdriver, start at one end and pop each of the holding studs out. After you fish the cat's whisker strip out of the bottom of the door, they you can pop rivit new velvet on it, or simply replace the whole thing with a new one.

Tom Bredehoft
    '53 Commander Coupe
    '60 Lark VI
    '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
    All Indiana built cars

Leave a comment:

• Scott
    replied
    This is how they did it in 1966. Weird, huh?

Leave a comment:

• CHAMP
    replied
    I just replaced the cat whiskers on my 48 Champion. I used new clips on the outside and on the inside I used Mech. wire. Just punched two small holes where staples would go on cat whikskers with a schatch all and put wire in holes and twisted tight with pliars worked great! Champ

Leave a comment:

• JDP
    replied
    The rubber on the shroud is easy. Just use a small drill to drill out the old staple holes after you've glued the rubber in place with weather strip cement, then thread the staples in the holes and fold over.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
    Studebaker News Group
    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.autos.studebaker
    64 Daytona HT
    64 R2 4 speed Challenger
    63 R2 4 speed GT Black
    63 R2 4 speed GT White
    63 GT Hawk
    63 Avanti
    62 Daytona HT
    53 Coupe

Leave a comment:

• Scott
    replied
    Tom B, does that mean that a pop rivet tool would have a problem getting in there, too?

Leave a comment:

• ROADRACELARK
    replied
    As they say, Tom B, necessity is the mother of invention.
    Good job!
    Dan

Leave a comment:

• tbredehoft
    replied
    As to crimping the cat's whisker clips, I used a narrow grinding wheel and a rat tail file to modify one side of a cheap pair of slip joint pliers. I had to go in about 5/16 inch to get it to work, but it beats a hammer and a loose block of wood.

Tom Bredehoft
    '53 Commander Coupe
    '60 Lark VI
    '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
    All Indiana built cars

Leave a comment:

• Scott
    replied
    I'll try to post a picture later. It's the same on all the windows. Actually, it looks like Studebaker used the regular cat whisker backing with the stainless bead, but without the fuzzy stuff. Then, they attached the strip to the doors using 4 or 5 clips that have about 1 inch of rubber-like material which comes in contact with the windows. Maybe they were fuzzy to begin with, but I am beginning to doubt it.

It's real hard to believe they could have saved any money doing it that way, but I can't see any other reason why they would have.

Leave a comment:

• jimmijim8
    replied
    I've never seen one as such. jimmijim

Leave a comment:

• Scott
    replied
    While we're on this topic has anyone noticed that on 1966 cars the cat whiskers on the door are in 4 or 5 pieces 1 inch long and spaced out? Talk about frugal. My 1964 Daytona 4 door has one long strip on the door and on the door panel. The 1966 cars weren't done the same way, apparently. They only used continuous strips on the door panels.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X