Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

57 Taillight

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 57 Taillight

Latest question:

Are the 57 taillights the same between sedan and wagon- and left and right?

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2358680/1

Yes, and yes.

Ross.
    Riverside, Ca.
    1957 Provincial X2
    1958 Transtar
    1961 Cruiser
    sigpic
    Ross.
    Riverside, Ca.
    1957 Provincial X2
    1958 Transtar

Comment

Yeah, and if you're thinking about having those fixtures rechromed at some point, SASCO has the "Custom" level fixtures that were painted - not chromed. Read that: NON-pitted pot metal. Ready to be plated.

I will caution you that either way you go to having pot metal parts rechromed, LOOK INTO references as to the plater you want to use. I bought a pair of those primered TL housings and let a cheapie chrome shop have them (on the assurance of a friend that this place did good and economical work) and they came back so distorted that they went right in the trash. The shop just shrugged their shoulders and said it musta been like that when I left it to be plated![8][B)][}] Right!
      Had a similar experience with some HL rings for a '57 too. I would've had to find some oval-shaped HL bulbs to work with what I got back!

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President 2-dr
      1955 President State
      1951 Champion Biz cpe
      1963 Daytona project FS
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Thanks, Ross and Biggs!

Great advice on the plating... have done a lot of biz with a local
        "old school" plater; same old guy for around 50 years... has a good rep, and did many jobs for me; but thus far it's only been race car bumpers and side bars (read: VERY expendable [B)]); but never had street-type stuff done yet, although he does have a good rep...

I definitely will have a discussion about this with them before I have anything done[^]

Boy, I'm glad I don't have to pay FMV for the info I get from you all.....[^][8D]

Comment

Platin' over steel is one thing.[^] Doin' justice to pot metal is another whole realm![:I]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President 2-dr
          1955 President State
          1951 Champion Biz cpe
          1963 Daytona project FS
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

After our little "chat", I went out to the garage and dug up an old can of polishing compound and rubbed a headlight ring and taillight housing, just to see what would happen... while they do have some pitting, they actually shined up pretty well!![8D]

I'm planning on buying one of those cool pedestal-mounted polishing machines; then I'll know for sure!! My hope is that everything will polish up and look decent; then I can get the rest done, and just get the replating done a little at a time...

I'm also going to call the plater and talk to them about pot metal; just to see what they say...

I'll let you know...

Comment

Working...
            X