Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

38 Studebaker President

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 38 Studebaker President

I have a problem with my straight 8 engine in my 38 president. After running for some time I hear a loud whistling sound coming from around the distributor or carburetor. The sound changes in pitch as I accelerate but remains very constant at idle. After idling for some time the sound may stop. My thought is this has something to do with the vacuum advance on the distributor. It is very difficult to isolate - [?]Any ideas?

Yes, quite likely a vacuum leak. But if it were the vac adv module, it would more than likely leak (whistle) even when cold.

It's likely a manifold or carb gasket that leaks once the engine warms and whatever part that said gasket works for tweaks out of shape a bit thanks to getting hot.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

The vac adv module must have a rubber diaphragm of some sort could that be leaking after warming up as well?

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Yes, quite likely a vacuum leak. But if it were the vac adv module, it would more than likely leak (whistle) even when cold.

It's likely a manifold or carb gasket that leaks once the engine warms and whatever part that said gasket works for tweaks out of shape a bit thanks to getting hot.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President 2-dr
      1955 President State
      1951 Champion Biz cpe
      1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by 38 stud

The vac adv module must have a rubber diaphragm of some sort could that be leaking after warming up as well?

It has a rubber diaphram, but it should be connected to 'ported' vacuum, no vacuum present with a closed throttle. Put a wrench on all the manifold nuts and snug them up. As Bob says, it may need a new manifold gasket

Dwain G.

Comment

Manifold gasket or carb base gasket.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President 2-dr
          1955 President State
          1951 Champion Biz cpe
          1963 Daytona project FS
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
          X