Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

My disc brake configuration

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My disc brake configuration

Since everyone's talking about their disc konversions....

I decided I didn't like all the (in my opinion) unnessesary weight with a brake "kit" (both currently available, of one I just removed) that's using parts designed to stop a 4500lb.+ car on the front of a 3300lb car.

I bought Stude Internationals Avanti repo disc's, Wilwood 4 piston calipers and steel braided Teflon lines....and made up my own brackets.

No, they aren't 15" rotors, no the calipers don't have 7 pistons. I wanted something that would fit within a cast 15" wheel...and not weigh a ton.

I took the Conestoga out tonight for it's maiden voyage to start to seat in the new pads. With only 5, 50ish mph stops and low friction pads (don't ask!!), I'm really happy with the fact that I think they'll stop at least as good as the GM / Ford mixture, be lighter (by about 20lbs per spindle)...and have less friction, because the pads pull away from the disc to the point of about .002"/.005". Not far enough to have to pump the pedal, but far enough to remove most all friction of the pads dragging on the disc like the GM calipers do.

I'll post pictures later in the week if anyone's interested...it's bed time!

Mike

And to think I just happen to have a brand new set of those rotors laying around~ still in the box... [:0] [^]
    Yes~ show me pictures!!!

[8D]

StudeDave
    V/P San Diego County SDC
    San Diego, Ca

'54 Commander 4dr
    '57 Parkview (it's a 2dr wagon...)
    '57 Commander 2dr
    '57 Champion 2dr
    '58 Packard sedan
    '65 Cruiser
    StudeDave '57
    US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
    SDC Member since 1985

past President
    Whatcom County Chapter SDC
    San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
    San Diego Chapter SDC
    North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Mike,I'd also be very interested.Give us some pics! My 60 Lark feels like the brakes are badly glazed after only about 700 miles on them.If I could do something like this,I'd do it on my Hawk before it ever even sees the road.

LaSalle,Il
      61Hawk
      60Lark
      Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Seems like disc conversions are a hot topic. I'm a ways from tackling this (need to rebuild the front end first), but I'm eager to see/hear how you did it.

---------------------------
        Clark in San Diego:

Proud new owner of a '63 Lark!

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Well...thought I was having a too many pictures, problem with Fotki...
          Maybe not...click on site below and go to "54 Conestoga"

http://public.fotki.com/-Mike-/

Mike

Comment

Mike, your link worked fine...

Nice work! I like your simpler-looking bracket... I could probably make my own, but frankly am not interested in such a project... I'd rather put my effort and time into the rest of the car. Still want discs, though; hence the reason I'll buy one of the kits already available.

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2358680/1

Comment

Nice work! Nice car I love that year/ model.

Ross.
              Riverside, Ca.
              1957 Provincial X2
              1958 Transtar
              1961 Cruiser
              sigpic
              Ross.
              Riverside, Ca.
              1957 Provincial X2
              1958 Transtar

Comment

Lookin' good!

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe
                1957 President 2-dr
                1955 President State
                1951 Champion Biz cpe
                1963 Daytona project FS
                No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

This post is interesting for a few different reasons. Good effort.

Tom
                  '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                  Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                  http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                  I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Hmmm....I give, what reasons?

Thanks for the vote, espically since you're doing a nice setup too!

Mike

Comment

I appreciate all you mechanical geniuses sharing your experienceon this forum!! I did build a disc brake set up on a '58 Harley front end,at one time,[rode it for a lotta years too],but that seemed like a simpler project than these car jobs.You both have my 'wheels turning'about discs on the Hawk.Thanks!!!

LaSalle,Il
                      61Hawk
                      60Lark
                      Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Your brake set up is pretty schnazzy. I like it. jimmijim
                        sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Working...
                        X