Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

57 Provincial- Disc Conversion

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 57 Provincial- Disc Conversion

Mine needs M/C and W/C rebuild; plus linings came off shoes...

Had intended to just freshen stock brakes for now, and convert to dual M/C w/front disc eventually; but now I'm thinking the cost and effort of doing stock would be better applied to the conversion...

Question: Are conversions like Turner's available for my car, and are there any problems specific to my application I should know about?

I intend to call Turner next week, but wondered if any of you have any comments...?

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2358680/1

Not sure, but I'd think the Turner kits will fit all 51-66 cars. From what I hear that are very good kits. (None of ours have discs, except for the 63 Hawk and 81 Avanti- both factory)

Matthew Burnette, the 16 year old Stude nut.
    South Georgia Chapter
    63 Daytona HT (project)
    51 Stude dump truck (yes, I won the raffle)
    52 Commander Starliner (basket case)

MANY more Studes in the family and a few parts cars
    http://community.webshots.com/user/mbstude101
    And here: http://community.webshots.com/user/mbstudepagetwo
    And here too: http://photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

Comment

Thanks, Matthew!

Anyone have an idea what it would cost for rebuilt M/C, 2 W/Cs, and shoes or relines?

Comment

To answer your question, yes- Turner has what you need. I have not taken the leap yet, but 'Rosstude' has! Check your post in General Discussion, and follow his link. There are pictures of his car with the brakes installed. I'd drop him a line to see what he has to say...

[8D]

StudeDave
        V/P San Diego County SDC
        San Diego, Ca

'54 Commander 4dr
        '57 Parkview (it's a 2dr wagon...)
        '57 Commander 2dr
        '57 Champion 2dr
        '58 Packard sedan
        '65 Cruiser
        StudeDave '57
        US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
        SDC Member since 1985

past President
        Whatcom County Chapter SDC
        San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
        San Diego Chapter SDC
        North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Figure $45 bucks for relined shoes - more if you have to send them off to get redone. $40 bucks apiece for new wheel cylinders, $60 for a new master cylinder and at least $20 bucks apiece for new rubber lines (and you'd be FOOLISH not to change them in your refresh)

To do the rears as well, same price for the shoes (although local auto parts places will have REARS in stock as they interchange with some BrandX car.)and another 40 bucks each for new wheel cylinders and another 20 bucks for that one rear hose. Then everything's new!
          I'd do the Turners myself - if I had the wherewithall. Ask Rosstude if the stock wheels clear the Turner setup. I can't remember if they do on the cars.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President 2-dr
          1955 President State
          1951 Champion Biz cpe
          1963 Daytona project FS
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

The Steeltech and Turner setups work on all '51 to '64's as far as I know.

Dan White
            64 R1 GT
            64 R2 GT
            Dan White
            64 R1 GT
            64 R2 GT
            58 C Cab
            57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

<sigh>

Well, certainly, engineering and making your own D/B setup was much less arduous than using a propane torch or a grinder.

Heaven knows, if you've done any sort of work (besides a common tune-up) on your Stude, you still, quite likely couldn't master the dexterity of holding a two inch metal ring with a pair of pliers while you wrestle that terribly tricky, dangerous and cumbersome, self-lighting propane torch with your other hand![:0]
              Don't DO THIS TASK if there's a puddle of gasoline on the floor or if you're bare-footed or wearing open footwear.[8] Serious injury or DEATH could result.

And a BENCH GRINDER!!! Listen, for the sake and welfare of your loved ones - PLEASE! - check with your life insurance agent before you put on your safety goggles and approach this beast![xx(] Caution! Sparks WILL fly. See prior warnings about gasoline and bare feet!

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe
              1957 President 2-dr
              1955 President State
              1951 Champion Biz cpe
              1963 Daytona project FS
              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by sbca96

Before I made my own setup, I had decided on Steeltech's 12 inch front
                disc setup, since unlike Turners, it sounded to be a true "bolt on".
                You get the Turner one, better be good with a torch.

Read the instructions YOURSELF :

http://www.turnerbrake.com/instructions-2.dwt

Beware that the calipers must be modified to fit Turners bracket, and
                so do the pads each time you swap them. If you drive your car as a
                daily driver this might be a problem (out of principle it was for me)
                if you have a trailer/garage queen, then Turner's will be fine. I did
                not like having to "marry" Jim Turner for replacement parts in the
                future, its great business sense to force people to come back to just
                buy pads though![:I] I could have got that from the stock brakes![B)]
                I'm missing something here. Turner's instructions look complete and fairly simple (even for us amatures). I don't see a lot of talent needed to heat the ring and grind off the taps on the calipers (and maybe the brake wear indicator on the pads). Probably even I could do it . I'm also missing why you would have to get "married to Turner" for replacement pads. Sound like stock GM pads to me.

Is there more to it than the instructions indicate?

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

Sorry everyone, didn't mean to bring up the 'Battle of the Disc Brake Conversions' again~ [:0] [B)] [V]
                  I did forget to mention, Ross had those non-stock F@#D wheels (as found in the ads in the back of TW) on the car before he put the Turners on... [^]
                  But I thought that was one of the benifits of Turners' set up, or was it that you had to use 'disc' wheels from late model Studes? I forget!!!

[8D]

StudeDave
                  V/P San Diego County SDC
                  San Diego, Ca

'54 Commander 4dr
                  '57 Parkview (it's a 2dr wagon...)
                  '57 Commander 2dr
                  '57 Champion 2dr
                  '58 Packard sedan
                  '65 Cruiser
                  StudeDave '57
                  US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                  SDC Member since 1985

past President
                  Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                  San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                  San Diego Chapter SDC
                  North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Interesting... and thanks! After Ialk to Mr. Turner, I'll let you know if we're engaged or not...

Stay tuned!!

Comment

Dick,
                      You aren't reading anything into anything.
                      SBCA96 has a big chip on his shoulder and thinks that his setup is the nirvana setup and that anything else is crap.
                      He has slammed Jim Turner's setup before, but has never bought one, installed one, or even looked at one (in person) for all I know...
                      But he continues to go on various forums and slam a competent Stude supplier based on what he has read on websites and magazines.
                      Here, on this thread, he goes off again.
                      At least he is consistant.
                      I think Jim Turner is correct in taking the high road and not dealing with baiting like this. But comments like this could affect a prospective customer...and with no good reason, other than jealousy (in my opinion)...
                      SBCA96... Get a new act.
                      And, no... No one is picking on you.
                      I am disagreeing with your tactic and am telling you so to your face (if that is possible on a forum)...
                      You keep ressurecting this line of crap, and it is not getting any better, and you are not adding anything new to the conversation.

When you do perfect your product(s) to compete with a class Stude vendor (or vendors), remember what you have said here (and on other forums)....
                      It may well come back to bite you on the proverbial ass....

I am not going to stand by idly and watch people (like SBCA96) come onto a newsgroup repeatedly and repeat things like this..... Jim Turner and Dave Levesque are not getting rich doing this, and their customers are not trying to get something for nothing (but they would if they could)
                      The list of satisfied customers for their products is in the thousands, and your startup project has yet to get to prototype number two. I wish you well on your project, but you are sewing seeds of ill will faster than a 90 foot John Deer XP planter...

Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp
                      I'm missing something here. Turner's instructions look complete and fairly simple (even for us amatures). I don't see a lot of talent needed to heat the ring and grind off the taps on the calipers (and maybe the brake wear indicator on the pads). Probably even I could do it . I'm also missing why you would have to get "married to Turner" for replacement pads. Sound like stock GM pads to me.
                      Is there more to it than the instructions indicate?
                      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Anymore everytime there is a disk brake question comes up it seems there is a pissing contest sooner or later. From now on can't we just say there are two main source for '51 to '64 Stude front disk brakes, Steeltech and Turner contact them for questions and information. Both seem to have similar stuff and maybe one is better than the other. I have not sampled both only one and that is all I can comment on, but this back and forth stuff is just not helpful to those that ask the questions.

Dan White
                        64 R1 GT
                        64 R2 GT
                        Dan White
                        64 R1 GT
                        64 R2 GT
                        58 C Cab
                        57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Dan, You are absolutely right.
                          There are two good suppliers.
                          Someday there might well be three or four.
                          But it is not proper for someone to jump on to a forum and slam the only suppliers we have WITHOUT offering a better solution that is available right now. New Studebaker owners will get the wrong impression about what is available, and may well not take advantage of improving their brake system, due to comments put out here without proper proof or vetting.
                          Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Dan White

Anymore everytime there is a disk brake question comes up it seems there is a pissing contest sooner or later. From now on can't we just say there are two main source for '51 to '64 Stude front disk brakes, Steeltech and Turner contact them for questions and information. Both seem to have similar stuff and maybe one is better than the other. I have not sampled both only one and that is all I can comment on, but this back and forth stuff is just not helpful to those that ask the questions.

Dan White
                          64 R1 GT
                          64 R2 GT
                          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

quote:Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

That's one heckofa planter[:0]

Dick Steinkamp
                            Bellingham, WA

Comment

It sure is a heck of a planter. When I was just old enough to ride the tractor my Grandpa and Dad used a 2 row job, took a long time to plant even a big field. Then we went to a 4 row, then 6 and my Dad just retired but he used a no-till job with I don't know how many boxes.

Dan White
                              64 R1 GT
                              64 R2 GT
                              Dan White
                              64 R1 GT
                              64 R2 GT
                              58 C Cab
                              57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Working...
                              X