This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• after market rims for 50 Champion?

For xmas my Grandpa and Dad gave me my Greatgrandfathers 1950 Champion Sedan. I have been reading this forum for months and finally picked my car up out of storage 4 days ago. I have big plans, first of which is getting all the little things done to get it running.

I've already ordered all new stuff for a tune up, a new wiring harness, new wipers, all 3 books (body, chassis, & shop manual), I've been sanding away the surface rust, ordered some por-15 to go to town on the frame, engine compartment and trunk (basically no rust in these areas).

The only parts (that I know of) that I'm missing are the side mirrors, tail lights, and an antena. As soon as I have it running I'm going to get the interior done and the rest I want to do myself (even if the body/paint don't turn out perfect, I want to take a stab at it)

Sorry to ramble on, I'm just excited...

One thing I really want are some nice rims, has anyone had luck in finding some for a 4x4 bolt pattern?

Congrat's. on having a Studebaker that has been in the family for so long. First, go completely through the brake system (new lines, hoses, wheel cylinders, etc.), then get the car running well. Don't worry about rims yet and no, I don't know of any with that bolt pattern, but you may be able to get adapters or now, before you do the brake work, would be the time to consider an upgrade to later brakes (not as easy on a '50) and the later (common) bolt pattern.

Gary L.
    1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
    1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

remember that if you go the adapter route it will change the wheel offset you will need, adapters will move the wheels out towards the fenderwells so take that into account when ordering wheels, you may want to check with the local speed shop, or hotrod guru about redrilling your hubs i would suggest a 5 lug 4 3/4 pattern thats what chevy uses and you can probably find wheels at swap meets... to save some cash

Comment

toolz, the problem with your suggestion is that the 50 Champion wears 4-lug rims.[:I]

Seems to me that I recall (from the dim, dark and fuzzy reaches of my failing memory) that someone's mentioned old Falcon or SOME sort of Ford product wheels being a decent fit. Of course, these HARDLY fit the description of "good-looking" or "custom" in the current sense. Also, it's doubtful that anything NON-Studebaker would fit up with the stock hubcaps of a 1950 - unless maybe it wore full disc, 15 inch covers.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President 2-dr
        1955 President State
        1951 Champion Biz cpe
        1963 Daytona project FS
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I believe, but don't quote me, that wheels off a Chevy Vega will fit those 4-lug wheels. Seems like a seen a few that have been mounted as "rollers". Of course, those would be 13" wheels.[}]

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

toolz, the problem with your suggestion is that the 50 Champion wears 4-lug rims.[:I]

Seems to me that I recall (from the dim, dark and fuzzy reaches of my failing memory) that someone's mentioned old Falcon or SOME sort of Ford product wheels being a decent fit. Of course, these HARDLY fit the description of "good-looking" or "custom" in the current sense. Also, it's doubtful that anything NON-Studebaker would fit up with the stock hubcaps of a 1950 - unless maybe it wore full disc, 15 inch covers.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President 2-dr
          1955 President State
          1951 Champion Biz cpe
          1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

I think for now I will just invest in some inexpensive tires for the current wheels, and paint them. When I got the car out of storage it actually had nice full chrome covers on the wheels, but they said Chrysler across them

After I get the car running and my interior done, I'll look at just putting new rear axle and font suspension on (if that is the most feasible thing). I actually have a 9" Ford rear end in my back yard.

How difficult is a suspension swap? Or what is the easiest way to convert to disk brakes and new hubs?

Thank you,
            John

1950 Studebaker Champion 2dr sedan.

Comment

Sadly, 51 was the first year that you could bolt on later Studebaker brakes, or any of the Turner Brake conversions. Short of clipping the frame, you are pretty much stuck with the factory front end. Not much wrong with that, execept the weak brakes.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
              Studebaker News Group

64 Daytona HT
              64 R2 4 speed Challenger
              63 R2 4 speed GT Black
              63 R2 4 speed GT White
              63 GT Hawk
              63 Avanti
              62 Daytona HT
              53 Coupe

JDP Maryland

Comment

I think Sonny managed to fit later spindles to the front of his '50 Champion and it wasn't that hard as I recall.[:I]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe
                1957 President 2-dr
                1955 President State
                1951 Champion Biz cpe
                1963 Daytona project FS
                No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
                X