Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Working on new Avanti frame

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working on new Avanti frame

Working on constructing a new Avanti chassis in stainless steel. It has an independent rear suspension utilizing a Dana 44. 13 inch dual piston caliper front brakes. Forged aluminum front independent suspension. Coil over shocks at all four corners.

X-member is as strong as the Studebaker, but should be lighter.

All the body mount points are the same, thus far, as the Studebaker chassis.

Looking for an Avanti body to complete this project.

Awesome work!
    Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by grobb284

Working on constructing a new Avanti chassis in stainless steel. It has an independent rear suspension utilizing a Dana 44. 13 inch dual piston caliper front brakes. Forged aluminum front independent suspension. Coil over shocks at all four corners.
    X-member is as strong as the Studebaker, but should be lighter.
    All the body mount points are the same, thus far, as the Studebaker chassis.
    Looking for an Avanti body to complete this project.
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

What guage stainless was used ? Forged front end --
      Very nice !!

53commander HDTP
      53 Champion HDTP
      61 Cursed Purple Hawk
      64 Champ long bed V8
      64 GT
      64 Champ long bed V8
      55/53 Studebaker President S/R
      53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

quote:Originally posted by grobb284

Very nice! [] Is the independent Dana 44 from a Corvette, or is it custom? What engine and trans will you be using? Where are you located...I may have a line on a body.

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Great workmanship. Thats really nice.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

Very nice! [] Is the independent Dana 44 from a Corvette, or is it custom? What engine and trans will you be using? Where are you located...I may have a line on a body.

The limited slip differential is from a Viper, however the suspension we are using with it is similar to a Corvette. Would like to find a NOS Studebaker Twin Traction emblem for it.

The engine is still up in the air. Have parts for a 350/700R4 drive train. Some friends are pushing hard for a Studebaker 289.

By the way, for the inquiry about chassis wall thickness, it is 11 gauge.

Located near Dayton/Springfield, Ohio.

Thank you for the kind compliments.

sigpic 1963 Studebaker Avanti: LS1 motor and T-56 transmission have been moved rearward, set up as a two seat coupe with independent rear suspension. Complex solutions for nonexistant problems.

Comment

I have a whole Aavnti that I'm about 4K in with a bunch of labor. It runs and moves and I'd sell it for 5K without doing anything else. (63/R1/AT/PS. I'd hate to sell just the body though.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
              Studebaker News Group
              http://groups.google.com/group/alt.autos.studebaker
              64 Daytona HT
              64 R2 4 speed Challenger
              63 R2 4 speed GT Black
              63 R2 4 speed GT White
              63 GT Hawk
              63 Avanti
              62 Daytona HT
              53 Coupe

JDP Maryland

Comment

That is an awesome looking frame. jimmijim
                sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Twin Traction emblems can still be found at swap meets. Studebaker International has them for $22, part number 1326147 but I don't know if they are NOS or repops.

That is impressive work. Would it fit under the Lark convertible?
                  "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

see, JP, I am NOT the nuttiest guy there is about stainless.

nice work! would love to see it done.

nate

--
                    55 Commander Starlight
                    62 Daytona hardtop
                    http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
                    --
                    55 Commander Starlight
                    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

quote:Originally posted by rockne10

Would it fit under the Lark convertible?
                      It should. We are making modifications to the Avanti floor pan in only two areas, the same place that Studebaker did, but more inboard.

Thanks again for the favorable comments.

By the way, the Avanti body that we are seeking does [u]not</u> need to have good hog troughs. We are considering a change there in the sheet metal to pass through the exhaust.
                      sigpic 1963 Studebaker Avanti: LS1 motor and T-56 transmission have been moved rearward, set up as a two seat coupe with independent rear suspension. Complex solutions for nonexistant problems.

Comment

The car I have has decent troughs. E-mail if you just want a body shell, I might be able to find one.

http://www.stude.com/cheap/index.html

Studebaker News Group
                        64 Daytona HT
                        64 R2 4 speed Challenger
                        63 R2 4 speed GT Black
                        63 R2 4 speed GT White
                        63 GT Hawk
                        63 Avanti
                        62 Daytona HT
                        53 Coupe

JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

The car I have has decent troughs. E-mail if you just want a body shell, I might be able to find one.
                          grobb284,

Thats the guy I told you to contact in your posts on the Avanti Forum.
                          Glad you finally found him. He parts out Avantis all the time, so I
                          am sure he can find you one. Nice work on the Chassis.

Tom
                          '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                          Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                          http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                          I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

The problem I'm having is finding him a "cheap Avanti" just missing the engine and drive line. Once you start to part out a Avanti, all the expensive bits are the little odds and ends he'll need to go with the body. i.e., I once parted out a Avanti with a rotted frame for over 8K, if he just found a body, he'd be 3-4K in just to trim it out.
                            The have been several Avanti's on ebay recently for 4K or so, and that about as cheap as they usually go for. BTW, I'm now commited to keeping mine for a bit, I ordered new door panel vinyl yesterday.

Studebaker News Group
                            64 Daytona HT
                            64 R2 4 speed Challenger
                            63 R2 4 speed GT Black
                            63 R2 4 speed GT White
                            63 GT Hawk
                            63 Avanti
                            62 Daytona HT
                            53 Coupe

JDP Maryland

Comment

I've got a line on a '63 R1 Auto Avanti. California car all its life. Good hog troughs and other metal. Runs, drives, stops. All there, but tattered and needs everything. $5k.

Dick Steinkamp
                              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
                              X