Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

tires

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tires

I have a nice 55 Coupe and it now needs tires. I think I'll go with radials for a safer ride. Has anyone done this? What metric size is comparible to the bias-ply original white walls? Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

The short answer is P205/75-15. They are the closest in size to the original 6.50-15.

Tim K.
    '64 R2 GT Hawk
    Tim K.
    \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

And Discount tire centers has them in Goodyear Star for $39 apiece. Also the 195's are $34 apiece @dtctires.com

Comment

MY 1955 President does great on 205/75/15, stears hard at very,very slow movenent, stears fine otherwise. Tires run fine. I did measure a rim,iffin I remember 6 inches from L to R.

Comment

195 75R15s are best, but now hard to find. This is the largest size if you want fender skirts. My 205 75R15s are tougher to turn.

Make sure that the tires are fresh - radials seem to have a life of only 6-10 years including storage.

THere are some other tire threads you may wish to read.

55s

Comment

Its 'funny' that you guys are saying that the wider tires are harder
            to steer. I noticed the complete opposite. I started with 195/75,
            and they were a bear to turn. I moved up to 215/75 and it got a bit
            easier to steer. The last set of tires I had were 245/60, and they
            were pretty easy to turn. This is on a manual steer 1960 Hawk.

The Avanti got the 245/60's, and then I recently went to 245/45's on
            a 17 inch rim .. that made it easier to steer. I dont think I will
            have any problems with the shorter arms to "quicken" the steering. The
            Avanti, of course, is power steering though.

For your stock car, I would suggest a 195/205 and a 70 series tire. It
            will make the ride a wee bit harsher then 75 series (noticably harsher
            then the bias tires though!!!) but the improved steering response will
            be nice. The ride you will get used too. A switch to a radial tuned
            shock will help out.

Tom

1963 Studebaker Avanti, 102,000, custom made brake brackets to mount 1998 Mustang GT 4 wheel disc brakes (soon to get 13" Cobra front brakes, 2003 Mustang Cobra 17" wheels, GM altenator, will be getting : 97 Camaro Z28 tan leather seats, 97 Camaro Z28 T-56 6-speed trans, Ported 'R3' style Avanti heads with stainless full flow valves, 'R3' 276 duration cam w/chrysler solid lifters, shortened push rods, aluminum cam gear, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires, waiting in the garage.
            '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
            Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
            http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
            I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

I use a Kingstar 205/75R 15 on my Larks. It handles well and fits the car. Every once in a while when turning sharply out of a steep driveway it will scrape the wheelwell. Other than that they're great! Probably the same tire as the Goodyearstar. Doubtless both made in China. Sigh.[V]

Lotsa Larks!
              K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
              Ron Smith
              Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
              K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
              Ron Smith
              Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

When I got my '66 Cruiser it had 205s on it. I took them off and put on some slightly used 6 ply 195s. I can definitely say that with manual steering, the effort is noticeably easier with the 195s. I think they are actually getting easier to find again since some newer minivans have been using them as factory equipment. Don't get discouraged to ask for them at your tire store just because some people immediately tell you you'll have trouble getting them.

By the way, I've heard that even skinnier tires like those used on model Ts are actually better in snow than newer fatter tires because the weight is on a smaller area. I've been told that model Ts handled great in snow.

So it all depends on your driving and preferences, I guess. Fatter is not necessarily better and it is definitely not what the stock Studebaker wheels were built for, which has been pointed out many times.
                "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

My Silver Hawk has 195/75/15 radials. I'm told that's why the speedometer reads 8 mph faster than the true speed. Which means the odemeter is off too.

Comment

245s EASIER to steer than 195s!!?? - and NO clearance problems? [)]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe
                    1957 President 2-dr
                    1955 President State
                    1951 Champion Biz cpe
                    1963 Daytona project FS
                    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

245s EASIER to steer than 195s!!?? - and NO clearance problems? [)]
                      245/60 R14 on a 7 inch rim. 1960 Hawk .. drove the tar out of that
                      car and never had it rub anywhere, but the rear fender. I did the
                      old wood trick and messaged the fender out a little in the rear.

Perhaps going lower profile helped with the steering? Or maybe I got
                      used to allowing the car to MOVE a little before turning. Turning
                      effort is GREATLY decreased if forward motion is applied. I have seen
                      people in parking lots sitting still and wrenching on the wheel on a
                      power steering car, the tire shaking violently trying to turn. I drove
                      that car for over 5 years with that size tire, as a daily driver. I
                      dont look like 'Arnold' either.

Tom
                      '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                      Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                      I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

I believe Tom, I am running 15x7" on my '55 coupe, 3/4" offset MoPar cop car wheels, 245/60s in the back and 215/60s in the front (not by choice; those were the tires I had - if I get new tires I will probably do something like 225/70 all around) 1/4" spacer in front for tie rod clearance, nothing in the back. IMHO the 245s might be a bit much for the fronts but they WILL fit and no hint of rubbing. I swapped the tires front to rear while troubleshooting a brake issue and other than a little heavier steering I had no problems at all and it was still very driveable (this is with PS though)

nate

--
                        55 Commander Starlight
                        62 Daytona hardtop
                        http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
                        --
                        55 Commander Starlight
                        http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bing kunzig

My Silver Hawk has 195/75/15 radials. I'm told that's why the speedometer reads 8 mph faster than the true speed. Which means the odemeter is off too.
                          Reads 8 MPH faster at 10 MPH or at 100 MPH .

Assuming it's at 60 MPH, that big of a difference (13%) can't be explained by the difference between the 195/75's and the stock tire size. Somewhere along the line, the car has probably received a rear end transplant with a different ratio than stock or a transmission transplant with a different speedometer driven gear than stock.

In any case, you can correct it by installing a speedometer driven gear with one or two more teeth than the one in there presently.

Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA

Comment

When we put radials on our 55 Champion sedan I was lucky enough to find an old timer at the tire shop who was actually willing and interested enough to take the time to search out the closest match for radius to the old bias plys. He fit it with 205 70 15 stating this would be the closest radius and hence more acurate speedo. As far as ease of steering goes, that's why the steering wheels are so big compared to the new cars. Mechanical advantage, and lots fo elbow grease!
                            1955 Champion Deluxe 2dr.

Comment

When I posted the info about my awesome 13" two piston caliper Cobra
                              brake setup, and the article in Avanti Magazine, I got an Email from a
                              guy who had JUST installed 20 x 8.5 rims on his Avanti. He sent me a
                              picture proving it. He clams there are no clearance issues. Makes
                              my 17 x 8's seem small. He's "very interested" in the 13 inch brakes
                              since the Stude disc look so tiny in the rims. He could also upgrade
                              to the available 14 inch 6 piston calipers that will fit my brackets.

Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X