Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

1961 HAWK DASH RADIO SPEAKER

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1961 HAWK DASH RADIO SPEAKER

What size is the radio speaker in the dash (right under the radio) ?
    It had a 4"x10" stuffed in it (didn't fit) too long. So I ordered a 5"x7" from SI and it doesnt fit either.(too tall)wont clear radio.These are the only 2 sizes I have seen offered from SI and neither fits.

1961 HAWK..BLACK.. 4bc,4-speed,TT

Not sure what is stock, but another standard size is 4 X 6.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
    64 Daytona HT
    64 R2 4 speed Challenger
    63 R2 4 speed GT Black
    63 R2 4 speed GT White
    63 GT Hawk
    63 Avanti
    62 Daytona HT
    53 Coupe

JDP Maryland

Comment

If you can get yourself up under the dash enough to measure the distances between the mounting studs, you can match it up with one at your local Circuit City, Best Buys, Radio Smack. You'll probably find a much higher quality speaker too. Just a thought, BTDT.
      Dan

Comment

Here's what I found on a spare dash out in the shop....
        Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by chevpartsman

What size is the radio speaker in the dash (right under the radio) ?
        It had a 4"x10" stuffed in it (didn't fit) too long. So I ordered a 5"x7" from SI and it doesnt fit either.(too tall)wont clear radio.These are the only 2 sizes I have seen offered from SI and neither fits.

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

WAY TO GO JEFF!!! You're right on top of things..I'm sure Chevypartsman appreciates that. Me too.
          Dan

Comment

Thanks guys ! I removed the bracket that the speaker mounts to and took it with me shopping. It is a 4"x 6". Found one at advance for about $10.00.BTW THE REAR SPEAKER IS 5"X 7"

Comment

If it's the stock Delco radio, you should use 10 ohm speakers. Most sold these days, including the ones I've seen from SI, are 4 ohm. They will overheat the transistor on the back of the radio, that drives them. I wouldn't expect them to sound right, either.
              If the coils in your old speakers are ok, the paper cones can be replaced. There are people who do this; or materials are available to DIY.
              New, 10 ohm, 4x10 and 6x9 speakers are available.
              Although the performance of the '60's Delco radios and speakers used in Studes is technically limited, that's how we listened to the music. I don't think anything above 4 KC is supposed to come out of the stock radio. There's a 4mfd capacitor from the speaker connection to ground.
              If you really just want to listen to tunes, a boom box under the seat may be a good solution.
              Mike M.

Comment

Working...
              X