This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Door switch problems

I know very little about wiring. Can anyone tell me what would cause a clicking sound from the ammeter gauge when I open the back door?
    When I open either front door, the pillar switch activates properly and the map light come on. However, if I open either of the two back doors and the switch button pops out, the light does not come on and I hear a very distinct click from the the dash (I believe the ammeter gauge). The ammeter dial jumps back temporarily to the discharge side of the instrument and then up again. The clicking sound is evenly timed about two seconds or so apart. The door switch gets quite warm to the touch. As long as the doors are closed everything is fine.
    I have had the dash out to restore and back in again, but I am sure I have everything wired properly as I was quite careful in labelling lines, and recording the disassembly with camera and charts. I do not have the dome lamp installed or the pillar switch hooked up. But this didn't seem to affect the rear door switch operation in the past, prior to removing the dash.
    It's my guess it may need a resistor in the line such as the dome lamp install with a bulb in place. Its obviously getting juice, but too much. Am I right?

Dave D.
    '51 4-dr Champion
    Smithers, B.C.
    Canada

You've got a dead short to ground somewhere in your dome light wiring. sounds like the rear door switch wire was inadvertantly connected to +12V rather than the ground side of the dome light and therefore is causing a circuit breaker to trip whenever you activate either of the rear pillar switches. I would have a look see in the area of the dome light itself; I have to admit I've never worked on a 4-door Stude but I am guessing there's a wire up there landed on the wrong terminal.

good luck,

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    62 Daytona hardtop
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

N8s nailed it. I'd guess there's a short between the wire from the door switches (all they do is provide a ground) and the hot wire in the dome light fixture. I'd be looking for a goof in the dome light fixture itself!

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President 2-dr
      1955 President State
      1951 Champion Biz cpe
      1963 Daytona project FS
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Nate and Bob. You guys were absolutely right! The red and black wires had been unbared and were touching each other out of sight only a few inches from the dome light fixture. Thank you, thank you!! No more clicking!

If anyone else has this model ('51 Champion), could you confirm, does the dome light only come on when a back door is opened or when activated by the pillar switch? From how I read my wiring diagram, this would be the case. Although I thought originally it came on with the light switch or an open front door.

Dave D.
        '51 4-dr Champion
        Smithers, B.C.
        Canada
        Dave D.
        '51 "Bulletnose" Champion
        '59 "Silver Hawk" V8

Smithers, B.C. "Where a Stude in hand is worth two in the bush"

Comment

I believe it's also activated by the headlight switch; rotate left for dome light, right for dash lights.
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

can't help you, haven't worked on one of those and don't have a manual. I would assume that the front doors would have switches for the dome light but can neither confirm nor deny these allegations.

nate

--
            55 Commander Starlight
            62 Daytona hardtop
            --
            55 Commander Starlight
            http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Just finished a complete re-wire of a 51 Commander 4 dr. It has door switches on all four doors and all work as any other Stude door switch. Open any door to have the map light come on.

Brian

Brian K. Curtis

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Champion51
                If anyone else has this model ('51 Champion), could you confirm, does the dome light only come on when a back door is opened or when activated by the pillar switch? From how I read my wiring diagram, this would be the case. Although I thought originally it came on with the light switch or an open front door.

Dave D.
                '51 4-dr Champion
                Smithers, B.C.
                Canada
                Dwain G.
                Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

You are correct. On a 4dr car the dome light only comes on automatically when the rear doors are opened. A manual switch is located on the right door post.
                  The map light (just under the roll of the dash) should come on automatically when the front doors are opened. It can also be controlled by turning the headlight switch to the left.

quote:Originally posted by Champion51

Dave D.
                  '51 4-dr Champion
                  Smithers, B.C.
                  Canada
                  Dwain G.
                  Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

I agree with Dwain G. dome light comes on automatically when rear doors are opened or manually by the switch on the right pillar. Map light on the dash comes on automatically when the front doors are opened or manually by turning the headlight switch to the left. [8D]

Studebaker Fever
                    60 Lark
                    51 Champion
                    Phil

Studebaker Fever
                    60 Lark
                    56 Power Hawk
                    Phil Hendrickson
                    Arnold, Missouri

Comment

Working...
                    X