Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Where can I get this tool?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where can I get this tool?

I've been wondering for a loooong time where anyone gets the tool needed to take off (and put on) the toggle switch mounting rings on hawks. I've tried gingerly doing it with a screwdriver before, but it only takes one slip to scar up the dash. Why is nobody offering these handy items for sale?

I assume the ring is one that has two slots on either side of the hole? If so, I use snap ring pliers, carefully, one hand keeping them in the slots and the other turning the pliers.

Ernie R2 R5388

R2 R5388

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Scott

I've been wondering for a loooong time where anyone gets the tool needed to take off (and put on) the toggle switch mounting rings on hawks. I've tried gingerly doing it with a screwdriver before, but it only takes one slip to scar up the dash. Why is nobody offering these handy items for sale?
      Make your own, Scott. Buy an el-cheapo deep socket with a diameter that matches the threaded bushing on the switch. Cut away most of the open end, leaving behind two pins to engage the slots on the spanner nut. A Dremel tool with cutoff wheel mounted is good for this, but you could do equally well with a bench grinder and a file.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
      Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Snap ring pliers? I'm not sure I've seen one. That's not what was used at the factory, was it?
        "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

I made one out of round stock for my Lark or Speedster, You can use it, but you have to come to St Cloud to get it.
          Klif
          55 Speedster/Street Machine
          63 Avanti R2
          64 Convertible R1

Comment

You guys are just too handy. I never thought of making one. Well, not seriously anyway. I'm one of those guys that finds making a pinewood derby car a challenge.
            "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

I made my own too, out of a piece of black pipe I had laying around.
              TZ

Comment

I bet there's a market for something ready-made. While you're at it, can someone PLEASE make a steering wheel puller like the one shown in the manuals. The ones that are sold by the usual Studebaker parts houses are EL CRAPPO!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Scott

Dunno if they're still available, but Kent-Moore used to make one -- "Adjustable Bezel and Ferrule Nut Wrench" -- J21932

I've had one for years, and it has come in very handy, especially in locations like junkyards. It was not just for Studes -- many makes used similar nuts to mount things in visible locations.

Skip Lackie
                  Skip Lackie

Comment

I've got several different sizes of these that I bought thru Snap-On tools about 30 years ago. They work pretty nice when I bother to use them[}]
                    I've got a pair of cheapie needle-nosed pliers that have had the tips ground down to where they'll fit as well. [:I]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe
                    1957 President 2-dr
                    1955 President State
                    1951 Champion Biz cpe
                    1963 Daytona project FS
                    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Thanks, Skip and everyone else. I'll look for something ready made, but at least now I'll have ideas how to make one. I still don't know why SASCO and others aren't selling these things. I bet one C/K owner in 10 has something correct for the job.

Comment

I checked with Kent-Moore. The tool was discontinued in the 1980s.

Comment

There are some places that still have these. Sometimes called a bezel or escutcheon wrench. Go here and then click on service tools and scroll down to dash nut spanner:
                          http://www.britishtool.com/servtool.htm
                          You could always intercept a Snap-On or a Cornwell truck and see if they still have them.

Dwain G.

Comment

That looks like the right tool, Dwain! Now I just have to see if it is the right size.

Comment

I think the reason the tools are not available everywhere is because they are so easy to make. I used a pipe nipple of the right size and hit it with my 3 1/2" makita.

1961 Lark

Comment

Working...
                              X