Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

62 Hawk disc brakes? Possible?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 62 Hawk disc brakes? Possible?

Does anybody have any experience with converting a '62 Hawk to front disc brakes? I know there are some vendors selling kits ($$$$$$$), but does anybody know any shortcuts?

No.
    You don't take shortcuts with brakes.
    Just go buy a set of Turner Brakes and be done with it.
    Your Stude, and the motoring public will appreciate it.
    (That, and add that cost to your selling price later on...Youy won't lose a penny)
    Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by parky

Does anybody have any experience with converting a '62 Hawk to front disc brakes? I know there are some vendors selling kits ($$$$$$$), but does anybody know any shortcuts?
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I understand the safety aspect involved. I'm just wondering if stuff from later years can be retrofitted.

Comment

The Turner kits (and others) ARE stuff from later years that's been adapted.

There's no "I'll just unbolt these from this late model __________
        and bolt it on my Studebaker." kinda deal.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President 2-dr
        1955 President State
        1951 Champion Biz cpe
        1963 Daytona project FS
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I have the Steeltech/Dave Levesque (early) kit on my '64 R1 GT and it has worked like a charm. But there are no shortcuts otherwise these guys (Turner and Levesque) would not be in business selling the kits. The deal with both kits are the custom mounting brakets for the calipers, the other parts are later year rotors, hoses, calipers/bearings that make the setup work. You will pay the money for the calipers, rotors, bolts, hoses, etc. and there is quite a bit of cost right there, so even if there were bolt ons, it would still cost $$$$.

Dan White
          64 R1 GT
          64 R2 GT
          Dan White
          64 R1 GT
          64 R2 GT
          58 C Cab
          57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Well you could add the 63-66 Studebaker units. You'd need a power brake booster ($250), the brakes and spindles from a parts car, (maybe $300), then rebuild the calipers, ($200-$400) Should only cost you a few $100 more then the modern Turners.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
            64 R2 4 speed Challenger
            63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
            63 Avanti
            54 3R Pickup

JDP Maryland

Comment

I've had a set of Turners on my 62 for a few years, and i'm very satisfied with them. The only shortcut is, Buy the complete kit from Jim.

Pat Skelly
              62 GT Hawk
              53 Studillac
              37 Dictator Coupe

Comment

I agree with the other comments. Personally I wouldn't go with the stock Studebaker discs unless it were for a car that was originally so equipped, or if a whole set fell into my lap for a good price (and that includes the rear brakes as well; they are different.)

IMHO the Turner kit is probably your best bet; although if you are handy there was a thread here recently about using recent Ford Cobra brakes that looks intriguing in a massive overkill kind of way.

If you have a good junkyard nearby you could buy the "basic" Turner kit (just the brackets, hoses, and bearing adapters) and source your parts from the junkyard...)

nate

--
                55 Commander Starlight
                62 Daytona hardtop
                http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
                --
                55 Commander Starlight
                http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

I agree with the group. There is no shortcut for safety related items! I have a parts car with a complete original disc brake system that I was going to rebuild and install on my 66 Daytona, but the smart way to go, and most cost effective is the Turner system. The rebuild cost of the Studebaker brakes is close to 1000.00 by the time the smoke clears. That stuff will be a core for somebody's project! Make me an offer!

Brian

Brian K. Curtis

Comment

These are just the answers I have been looking for. I was impressed wih Turner stuff as soon as I saw it.
                    Has anyone had experience with the m/c adapter brackets to allow the installation of a dual chamber master cylinder????
                    What is the feeling for the need for a power booster?????
                    thanks for all the info.

Comment

I have one of Jims M/C brackets on the Hawk, using the Jeep truck M/C, again good stuff. I'm not running any booster, and don't feel the need to, the car stops quick and straight.

Pat Skelly
                      62 GT Hawk
                      53 Studillac
                      37 Dictator Coupe

Comment

quote:Originally posted by chocolate turkey

I agree with the group. There is no shortcut for safety related items! I have a parts car with a complete original disc brake system that I was going to rebuild and install on my 66 Daytona, but the smart way to go, and most cost effective is the Turner system. The rebuild cost of the Studebaker brakes is close to 1000.00 by the time the smoke clears. That stuff will be a core for somebody's project! Make me an offer!

Brian

Brian K. Curtis
                        Brian, I might just do that. I just brought home a '64 Daytona hardtop that I am pretty sure was originally a disc brake car, since it still has the disc brake booster and m/c in it. I think it was used as a donor to put disc brakes in a Hawk.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
                        Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Here is a recent thread about disc brake design

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com...chTerms=Brakes

I know that Jim Turner has a lot of support on this forum, but IMHO the Steeltech design is a bit better and the support has always been there. I am about ready to put a rear disc brake setup on my R1 Hawk from Steeltech.

Dan White
                          64 R1 GT
                          64 R2 GT
                          Dan White
                          64 R1 GT
                          64 R2 GT
                          58 C Cab
                          57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

So I surmise that the ideal setup would be Steeltech big brakes and Turner's dual m/c bracket???

Comment

A word of caution about changing to a dual MC setup. If you have power brakes on your GT, ie. Hydrovac, you will have a choice either power brakes or dual MC you cannot have both since the Hydrovac gets its signal from a single line from the MC and then applies pressure to all four brake lines at the same time from one feed. I have front power disk brakes on my GT and they work great (soon rear disk as well). I have not felt the need for a dual MC.

As for the two vendors of the brake systems, I am not knocking the Turner setup, as far as I know they work fine and you would not have any problems with either system. I was just expressing my opinion concerning the design of the two.

Dan White
                              64 R1 GT
                              64 R2 GT
                              Dan White
                              64 R1 GT
                              64 R2 GT
                              58 C Cab
                              57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Working...
                              X