This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel Problems

Greetings. Does anyone have any super duper sure fire tips for getting a wheel lock off when you don't have the key? I'm thinking Sledge Hammer and big chisel.... but there is a small possibility that that (can you use two thats like that?) might damage the lug.
    Fire, Magic? Give up?

Thanks,
    Mac

Proud Owner of the one and only 1963 BEND OVER
    POOP HAWK and the 1966 Messtang!

quote:Originally posted by MacMyers

Greetings. Does anyone have any super duper sure fire tips for getting a wheel lock off when you don't have the key? I'm thinking Sledge Hammer and big chisel..
    I'm thinkin' blue wrench (but I've never tried it before)

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

If you have the kind where the key makes the hex rotate free, you can hit it square on with a BFH. The only one I had experience with, that split the outer shell and I was able to grip the nut with visegrips and take it off. Don't know about the other kind but I imagine some of the kids in my neighborhood could do it in about 30 seconds. They probably wouldn't tell me how, though. Hope this helps and good luck

jj

Comment

Try a nut splitter.

Pat Skelly
        62 GT Hawk
        53 Studillac
        37 Dictator Coupe

Comment

If it is one of the modern type, ask around to borrow wheel lock keys from your friends. They don't manufacture a lot of combinations. You may get lucky. Perhaps if you post a picture of what you have/need, someone here could come up with a key that they could send to you on loan.

Of course, the obvious first thing to do is to search through the car for the key. I have found them in places like; glove compartment, ash tray, spare wheel well, fastened to lug wrench.

Gary L.
          1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
          1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

if all else fails there are sockets that you can drive over the nut that will cut little grooves in it and allow the socket to grip on the formerly smooth outer surface of the nut. I know Snap-On makes them; not sure if there's a Craftsman-priced version or not.

nate

--
            55 Commander Starlight
            62 Daytona hardtop
            --
            55 Commander Starlight
            http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Thanks guys... I'll try some of that. It's one of the ones that uses the oddly shaped ring thing that has a matching oddly shaped lip key. I'm going to try to find a nutsplitter/socket cutter and wail on the SOB.

Proud Owner of the one and only 1963 BEND OVER
              POOP HAWK and the 1966 Messtang!

Comment

Mac: Do you know anybody at a tire shop or general garage in the area? If so, they likely have one of several kits marketed for the trade with heavy "universal" sockets that you pound on the wheel lock nut (pound hard!). They grip the nut with sheer friction and force. Then you unscrew the nut with a socket wrench placed on the universal socket you just hammered on. It usually ruins the nut coming off, but the object is to get the nut off and if you don't have the key for it anyway, who cares if it is ruined, so long as it is OFF!

Of course, you can buy those kits commercially, but they are expensive. Better to buy your buddy at the garage a six-pack of beer or a dozen doughnuts and "rent" his. BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

One trick I have used successfully was a piece of emery cloth jambed in between a socket (impact) and the wheel lock nut. Hammer the socket over the nut and use either an impact or a bar. Worked more often than not. Also, use valve lapping compound, it has enough grit to make a bind.
                  If all else fails, there are inexpensive removal tools available on the rack at your local NAPA.

Brian

Brian K. Curtis

Comment

Follow the emery cloth and socket idea! I have used this several times, when customers bring in there cars /trucks and have lost the lock keys. From working in a major x-brand dealership this is almost the same as the "kits" the tool vendors sell, without the cost.

Comment

I have done it out in the boonies using a splitting maul and a sledge hammer. Took off four of them one afternoon fro some idiot that drove his car where he shouldn't have and then got a flat.

In the shop I have used an air chisel many times.

If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
                      64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
                      61 V8 Tcab
                      61 Tcab 20R powered
                      54 Champion Wagon
                      If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
                      64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
                      61 V8 Tcab
                      63 Tcab 20R powered
                      55 Commander Wagon
                      54 Champion Wagon
                      46 Gibson Model A
                      50 JD MC
                      45 Agricat
                      67 Triumph T100
                      66 Bultaco Matadore

Comment