Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

56 door hinges

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 56 door hinges

Just removed my doors off my 56 2dr wagon. Two of the hidges swing freely the other two are as hard as a rock. I have to hit the with a hammer to move them. Which two are ok and which two need repair? One on each side are like this. Can these be repaired??? Thanks

Well, have you soaked the two tight ones with some sort of penetrating oil (not WD-40)? Something like Kroil or PB Blaster?

If the two that swing freely don't wobble or flop around when they move, they should be OK. Oil them up good with 3-in-1 or some like product - do this to the tight ones too, after you've got them loosened with the penetrant. Then give us a report.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I just sprayed them with BP Balster. I'll give them some time to soak. If this doesn't work I'll remove them. Thanks. I'll keep you posted.

1956 Studebaker Pelham Wagon Houston, Texas
      Remember, \"When all is said and done. More is always said then ever done.\"

Comment

Well, after 3 days of pb blaster and alot of working the hidges back and forth they are begining to loosen up. It looks like they will survive this time. Thanks.

1956 Studebaker Pelham Wagon Houston, Texas
        Remember, \"When all is said and done. More is always said then ever done.\"

Comment

Good to hear!

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President 2-dr
          1955 President State
          1951 Champion Biz cpe
          1963 Daytona project FS
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

After you have them good and loose, I'd spray in some lithium. The Blaster will help the lithium penetrate the hinge.

When we change the oil and lubricate on a regular schedule, we often neglect the non-drivetrain moving parts. Lubricating door, hood and trunk hinges and latches should be an annual event. Use Door-Ease on striker plates and hood and trunk latches; graphite in window channels and lithium on window regulators and window lift tracks.

"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."
            "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Working...
            X