Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Engine ID help

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine ID help

OK, I rouned up a stude V8 from a local "stude yard" for my '60 lark. I'm having some trouble iding it and am looking for some help!

I know its from a early 60's truck, probally a 62-64 259 due to the valve covers are yellow and the oil caps are orange. The crankcase vent system looks the came as a '63 car per the car chassis manual. It has a plate on the right rear; would this be for the full flow oil filter adapter? It has the original canister filter above the valley pan.

Serial number is: 3E2070.

Thnanks in advance for the help.

3E would denote a standard duty 259 from a truck. I've come across a couple of these with that plate you speak of. You can replace it with the full-flo filter base (that's what I'd do!).

Thing is, that number you gave (specifically the four digits AFTER the 3E) is too low to be a full-flow engine. Are you sure you didn't forget a digit??? Should be at least 5 digits after the "3E"

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Mr Biggs,

You are correct! I didnn't get all the gunk off, the full serial number is 3E20704![:I]

Can any full flo filter base attach, or is anything additional/special needed to complete the change over to the full flow system?

Thx

Comment

1555771 Oil filter base and 1555103 oil filter base to block gasket.
        1555771 $40.00, 1555104 $2.00, SI catalog of parts.
        Still uses an odd ball thread same as 60-72 Buick, Olds and Poncho.

Comment

"Can any full flo filter base attach, or is anything additional/special needed to complete the change over to the full flow system?" [?]

Yup, any base. And there were TWO of them available. One for cars and one for HD truck applications. The HD unit accepts a cannister and element type filter, I believe. I've never actually seen one mounted on an engine. But I have one I bought at a swap meet, just for grins.
          So, you'd need a base, a gasket and a filter, of course. OH, and plugs to plug up where you'll remove the partial flow filter lines. 1/8th inch pipe thread plugs.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President 2-dr
          1955 President State
          1951 Champion Biz cpe
          1963 Daytona project FS
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Mr. Biggs,
            There was one of those HD truck filters on ebay about two weeks ago, a NOS kit. I let it pass cause, I prefer the spin on filters. The cannisters have too many places to leak<G>.

Comment

Thanks for all the full flow info...

Any idea on the year?

Thx

Comment

I did a bit of figuring and this would be the 1,803rd standard duty 259 assembled during the 8E series run. I'm sure it would have been in a '63 edition 8E truck. Champ or larger C-cab? Who knows[B)]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe
                1957 President 2-dr
                1955 President State
                1951 Champion Biz cpe
                1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

Mr Biggs.

Thanks for time you put in!

Comment

Working...
                  X