This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headers for a Hawk?

Does anyone know of a vendor that offers headers for a 62 GT Hawk?
    Would like to install them if I can find any. By the way Alan, just wanted to let you know that the altenator is working great.[8D] Thanks again for the help. Also need someone in Southern California say Los angeles or Orange counties that can do a suspenion rebuild. Want to freshen up the front end and steering box.[] Thanks Dan

62 GT Hawk

Long time answer - no off the shelf tubing headers.
    You'll have to find someone or build them yourself.

Comment

Thanks Mike, that`s what I was afraid off Dan
      quote:Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten

Long time answer - no off the shelf tubing headers.
      You'll have to find someone or build them yourself.

Comment

The R3 headers marketed by Lionel Stone are just the ticket, but be prepared to maybe doing a little on-site machining and massaging to make them fit exactly right. They're nice enough, but quality control "varies." BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I believe that Don Simmons sells headpipes to mate the "R3" headers to a stock exhaust pipe, FWIW. It's pretty much a bolt on other than the usual LS issues that Bob mentions. I'm not sure how much tweaking you have to do to the headers, but they are a pretty simple part, I haven't used them but as long as the flanges are machined straight they ought to work and not leak.

nate

--
          55 Commander Starlight
          62 Daytona hardtop
          --
          55 Commander Starlight
          http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

One thing about the cast header....I don't know if they all have it, but the one set I did see a few years ago had a big cast in step at the exit.
            Remove the big step in the manifold if it is still cast in there.

It just plugs up the reason you're buying them....free flow.

I'll be ordering a set myself soon. They will just be a place holder though, untill I'm happy with the rest of the car...then I'll be building a set...or two of real headers.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by danweb

Does anyone know of a vendor that offers headers for a 62 GT Hawk?
              Would like to install them if I can find any. By the way Alan, just wanted to let you know that the altenator is working great.[8D] Thanks again for the help. Also need someone in Southern California say Los angeles or Orange counties that can do a suspenion rebuild. Want to freshen up the front end and steering box.[] Thanks Dan
              Try Headers by Ed for a flange kit if you want tubular headers...

Bill Oliver at Studebaker Parts and Service in Long Beach can probably do the suspension rebuild for you 562-435-3782

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Dan, You won't get much improvement out of headers on a stocker like yours. Especially for the cost, hp. per dollar. If you want to get that generator to work you are going to have to get a VR17 regulator, that VR22 is for a Delco. That is why the field wire was burned and broken. If you can wait a few weeks we can work something out on that suspension rebuild and the headers if you realy want them that bad.

Comment

Alan, don`t even care about the generator I`m happy with the alternator. would like to get the suspension done but have decided against the headers.
                  quote:Originally posted by Alan

Dan, You won't get much improvement out of headers on a stocker like yours. Especially for the cost, hp. per dollar. If you want to get that generator to work you are going to have to get a VR17 regulator, that VR22 is for a Delco. That is why the field wire was burned and broken. If you can wait a few weeks we can work something out on that suspension rebuild and the headers if you realy want them that bad.

Comment

Working...
                  X