Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

more low end

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• more low end

I have a 62 GT Hawk 4 speed with a 3:31 TT. I want more low end perforance, will a 53 commander rear work? what is ratio for overdrive & no overdrive rear ends for this year

'53 Commander v-8 OD std rear was 4:55. Probably too low for a 4-speed. They also had smaller brakes than later axles. Most good rear end shops should be able to change the gearing in your axle to whatever was available.
    Bob

Own '53 Commander Starliner. Red w/beige top. 350 Chev/700R4. Tilt,cruise,A/C.
    Own \'53 Commander Starliner. Red w/beige top. 350 Chev/700R4. Tilt,cruise,A/C.http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j30/Bobphyl/StudeontheBeach.jpg

Comment

If you just wanna zip away from stoplights, a 4.55 would certainly do that! But without overdrive, the trade-off's gonna be poor high end economy - and not just reduced gas mileage. There'll be the extra wear on the engine since now it'll be turning alot more RPMs at hiway speeds.
      Plus, I don't know if your GT has Twin Traction, but an original '53 axle sure wouldn't have it.[B)]

Strictly technically - it would fit. You'd want to transfer your Hawk's rear brakes over - but it would fit.

BTW, a 3.54's a good compromise and even a 3.73 - but as I said, then you get into higher hiway RPMs. Of course, 4-speed's HAVE been fitted with an OD unit. Such a conversion isn't simple but I know there's an article about such in one of the issues of TW.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President 2-dr
      1955 President State
      1951 Champion Biz cpe
      1963 Daytona project FS
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

If you can wait a month or so I will have a 3:73 ring and pinon out of my Hawk. I am putting in a 3:31 to improve mileage a bit, and take down the RPMs.

Dan White
        64 R1 GT
        64 R2 GT
        Dan White
        64 R1 GT
        64 R2 GT
        58 C Cab
        57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Yea....a 3.73 is a good all around gear ratio...unless you're on the autobans in Europe!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bubbahawk

I have a 62 GT Hawk 4 speed with a 3:31 TT. I want more low end perforance, will a 53 commander rear work? what is ratio for overdrive & no overdrive rear ends for this year
            Thanks for the info everyone, the 3:73 sounds great,Dan,let me know when its available

62 GT Hawk 4 speed
            57 Silver Hawk 289
            53 Champion Coupe

P.S.Uzbekistan? No, I am in Greenwood,S.C.

Comment

Will Do!

Dan White
              64 R1 GT
              64 R2 GT
              Dan White
              64 R1 GT
              64 R2 GT
              58 C Cab
              57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Working...