X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• left and right vent doors

stupid question #2:
    I cannot remember how to put the vent doors back onto the front fenders. They seem the same on the outside. On the inside, one has a heavy tab on it about middle of door, with a hole drilled in. Is that left or right?
    52 hardtop, did have climatizer.

Dan
    52 hardtop

That one is the driver's side.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Cool. If you don't mind me asking, what opens up the passenger door then?
      In 1997 when I disassembled this thing, I was sure I would just remember all these facts. That isn't quite the case.

I have a little rod assembly to finger pull one of these doors. i think that is drivers side as well. I am now clueless how the passenger side door is operated. if anybody can refresh my memory, thanks in advance.

Dan
      52 hardtop

Comment

On '52s, there's a little lever that mounts under the dash - about where the glove box is. It has a tan plastic knob on it and a rod that goes from the hidden end of the lever to the right vent door. You flip that knob to the left or right to actuate the vent door.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President 2-dr
        1955 President State
        1951 Champion Biz cpe
        1963 Daytona project FS
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

On passenger side the ducting from the vent goes through hole in inner fender. Then into some ducting towards the floor mounted heater. I think this all climatizer stuff, and perhaps the vent door on this side was not manually activated..? There is also a blower motor on that side of the dash with that I think is for defrosters only.(?)

I took pictures of the car to help in re-assembly. But of course I did not...take...enough of them.

Appreciate the help on this guys. I would figure out all these pieces eventually I hope, but if I can tap some knowledge of one who's familiar with this layout all the better.

Dan
          52 hardtop

Comment

Your assumption about the defroster is correct. That's all it does.

The motor on the right fender is the one that blows thru the underseat heater core. It gets FRESH air from the right fender vent OR INTERIOR air thru the vent door on the kick panel inside the car.
            That lever under the dash DOES INDEED control that outer vent door on the right. Using that door in concert with the kick panel door, you can regulate how much (or no) fresh air you use in the heater system. That way, during really cold weather, you just open the kick panel vent and recirculate inside air to warm things up faster!

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe
            1957 President 2-dr
            1955 President State
            1951 Champion Biz cpe
            1963 Daytona project FS
            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Don't know if this will help or not, but here's the left vent on my '51:

Here's the right (passenger) vent:

And here's where the heater duct goes in to be routed under and into the car:

1951 Commander Starlight Coupe (aka "Stella")

Comment

They're the same on both 51 and 52. I've looked, which isn't a problem when you gotta 51 AND a 52...

Matthew Burnette, the 16 year old Stude nut. South Georgia Chapter
                [img] http://jnautoair.com/images/yelstude2.jpg [/img]
                63 Daytona HT (my car),57 Silver Hawk, 51 Champ Starlight, 63 GT Hawk,64 Commander Wagonaire,59 Scotsman P/U,56 Champ 2 door,81 Avanti II,56 Sky Hawk,65 Daytona 2 door,62 Cruiser,55 P/U(V-8)
                MANY more Studes and a few parts cars

And here: http://community.webshots.com/user/mbstudepagetwo

Comment

Dan: If you are still mystified as to how the vent doors are installed, go to page 17 of 1951-52 Body Parts Catalogue. If you don't have one, let me know, and I'll e-mail you a picture of it.
                  There was a type one and type two ventilator shroud control. The photo from Eman (right side) is a type two. I have a 51 Champion with a type one and it is controlled by a dash knob just to the left of the steering post. It has the letter "V" on it and the word PULL in smaller letters under the "V". I think it would be obvious to you if you had this type, as a sheathed wire runs right over to the vent door. But perhaps you have removed that wire and other dash controls in your restoration as I did[?] Dave

Dave D.
                  '51 4-dr Champion
                  Smithers, B.C.
                  Canada
                  Dave D.
                  '51 "Bulletnose" Champion
                  '59 "Silver Hawk" V8

Smithers, B.C. "Where a Stude in hand is worth two in the bush"

Comment

Me again: Just looked at your lovely web page. Didn't realize you had a Starliner. Which means it is a Model 12G correct? This model would have the type two control and the second picture from Eman would be the correct control. Somewhere in your parts storage, you should have two small clips. That rod you're talking about attaches directly onto the right fender shroud (vent door) and the 90 degree bend in the end of the rod travels up through a small hole on the top, inside of the shroud and is held on with one of those special clips I mentioned. You should also have a small spring that slides on over the rod and applies tension to your opening and closing of the door along with a couple of cup washers on each side of the spring. As well you will have a handle and bracket that mount [u]under</u> the dash (left end of glovebox) and a handle control knob and another clip similar to the first one, that holds the rod to the bracket. Perhaps someone out there can reply directly to this post with a picture of the diagram showing the assembly as I described in the previous thread. Then everybody can see it. Yippee!

Dave D.
                    '51 4-dr Champion
                    Smithers, B.C.
                    Canada
                    Dave D.
                    '51 "Bulletnose" Champion
                    '59 "Silver Hawk" V8

Smithers, B.C. "Where a Stude in hand is worth two in the bush"

Comment

Yeah, the "type 1" vent control was dropped, mid-year in '51. This means all '52s would have the type 2 that I described in my first reply.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                      1960 Larkvertible V8
                      1958 Provincial wagon
                      1953 Commander coupe
                      1957 President 2-dr
                      1955 President State
                      1951 Champion Biz cpe
                      1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

I was refering to a 52 sedan. I too have a 52 Commander Starliner, but it's pretty much a basket case. Mine's WAY worse than yours was. 'IF' I do anything with mine, it'll be a mild custom, nothing to radical, and ALL Studebaker. [^]

Matthew Burnette, the 16 year old Stude nut. South Georgia Chapter
                        [img] http://jnautoair.com/images/yelstude2.jpg [/img]
                        63 Daytona HT (my car),57 Silver Hawk, 51 Champ Starlight, 63 GT Hawk,64 Commander Wagonaire,59 Scotsman P/U,56 Champ 2 door,81 Avanti II,56 Sky Hawk,65 Daytona 2 door,62 Cruiser,55 P/U(V-8)
                        MANY more Studes and a few parts cars

And here: http://community.webshots.com/user/mbstudepagetwo

Comment

Champion Starliner, yes.
                          Guys, thanks a ton. The pictures really help. I'll print this out and head to the garage.
                          The drivers side picture looks totally familar, I have those parts and the bulged out screen piece.
                          The passenger side is not so familiar looking. Time to dig through a box and find out what I had here.

I have also a flat screen, just one. I think this goes on the outside. Do both sides need it? (in other words, am I missing a part?) Or does the driver side not get a flat screen on outside because of the screen it has inside?

Dan
                          52 hardtop

Comment

You're correct on your assumption about the screens. Flat on on the right, bulged one on the left - inside.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                            1960 Larkvertible V8
                            1958 Provincial wagon
                            1953 Commander coupe
                            1957 President 2-dr
                            1955 President State
                            1951 Champion Biz cpe
                            1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

Working...
                            X