This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine noise

Started working on the R2 GT Hawk again today and swapped carbs to get it running better and I hear a "ding-ding" sound for about 10 seconds when restarted, then it went away. I noticed it was now running on 7 cylinders so I pulled the plugs and found a bent electrode on number 8. I looked in the plug hole and saw nothing unusual, probed around a bit and spun the engine over with the plug out. Put a new plug in and it runs fine.
    I bought the engine already rebuild with the car from a guy that builds Studebaker high performance engines and all I can figure is a small screw got into the cylinder, was eaten and left out the exhaust or was blown out the plug hole. I might have ahd dropped something in the manifold when I had the carb off. I hate to pull the head unless I have to since the compression is fine on that cylinder, but wonder if you guys agree.
    Wish I had a bore scope. <g>

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
    64 R2 4 speed Challenger
    63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
    63 Daytona Convert.

Tried fishing around in there with a "magnet on a stick" just to see if you can find the culprit? Of course that will only work if whatever it was is ferromagnetic, but if you do pull something out that will tell you something.

Tried hooking up shop air to that hole? If it holds pressure I'd say it might be OK, assuming no debris in there...

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    62 Daytona hardtop
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

I had and X-body 4 cylinder Buick. Changed the pulgs and within 100 miles it started to miss ans made some 'bad' sounds,I drove home, noise stopped. Pulled the pulgs and found one new plug less and electrode. replaced the plug and problem solved.

Comment

N8, I did probe it with a magnet, even ran the eninge with the plug out for a bit. Whatever was in there has gone somewhere.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
        64 R2 4 speed Challenger
        63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
        63 Daytona Convert.

JDP Maryland

Comment

I can recall working in a garage when someone dropped something small into an engine that was almost complete. We pulled the engine apart to make sure. If you are 90% sure that whatever was in there is no longer in the cylinder, I would forget about it, unless you hear something again or the engine doesn't run well.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

JDP,
            It might be worth your while to find a local machine shop or garage with a mechanic that has a bore scope. I would hate to loose a piston on a fresh rebuilt engine just by not knowing for sure that whatever WAS in there is REALLY gone. Just food for thought.

Dan Miller
            ROADRACELARK

Comment

Working...
            X