Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

6v instr bulbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6v instr bulbs

Anyone have the correct # for the instrument background lighting for 49 stude, The bulbs in the car seem awfully dim and I forgot to look in the book last night, Now at work and would like to find the bulbs today.
    thx
    Russ

Russ Shop Foreman "Rusty Nut Garage"
    57 SH (project)
    60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
    53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
    57 SH (project)
    60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

I think those could be #51s or ##55s. 51s I believe are smaller.

'55 Commander
    '55 President
    \'55 Commander
    \'55 President

Comment

Rusty...
      Instrument bulbs are # 55. I spent many hours trying to get more illumination from the instruments in my 1950 Starlight. When new, the luminous painted numerals were excited by the bulbs shining through a green (blue?) filter but the paint aged and the brightness fades to near nothing. What worked for me was to install 6 volt Krptyon flashlight bulbs---but--you have to modify them by soldering a small "boss" to their base to fit the twist type sockets. They have ample light output to rejuvenate the numerals. May be a heat problem but I haven't experienced that after two years. New #55's are a waste of money IMHO.
      ...Dick

1950 Champion Starlight
      1963 Hawk GT
      Santa Barbara
      CA

The 1950 Champion Starlight
      Santa Barbara
      CA

Comment

Working...
      X