Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Emergency brake cable question

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emergency brake cable question

I need to shorten the length of my emergency brake cable. What or where can I find something like the metal ball that fits on the end? And how do I attach a new one?

1951 Commander Starlight Coupe (aka "Stella")
    www.bulletshots.net
    www.bulletshots.net/blog

Rather than go for the ball, why not go to the hardware store and get a cable splice and do it in the middle where it won't get in the way.

Tim K.
    '64 R2 GT Hawk
    Tim K.
    \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

Take a piece of steel shot and drill a hole in the center the same size as the cable then use a pair of crimping pliers and crimp the shot on the cable where you need it.

Comment

Call George Martin in Lebanon, PA. He makes brake cables and power steering hoses, is a Studebaker guy, usually at York. He can make whatever you want. Phone is 717-273-9502. He's got all the special bits and pieces as well as the tools. Prices are low.

Gary Ash
        Dartmouth, MA
        '48 M5
        '65 Wagonaire Commander
        '63 Wagonaire Standard
        www.studegarage.com
        Gary Ash
        Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
        ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
        '48 M5
        '65 Wagonaire Commander
        '63 Wagonaire Standard
        web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

Thanks. I'll see if I can get in touch with him. Surely there is something else out there that will work.[B)]

www.bulletshots.net
          www.bulletshots.net/blog

Comment

Just FYI, I found a local rope and rigging company that does some industrial type work to help out. They were able to cut a stop, press it (in like a 200 or 400 pound press), and grind it to about the size I needed... for free. I haven't put the cable back on the car yet, but I think this should work fine.

www.bulletshots.net
            www.bulletshots.net/blog

Comment

Working...
            X