Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Frame question

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame question

Can anyone tell me what happened to this front crossmember to body ? (55 coupe)

http://stude.com/Frame.jpg

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
    64 GT Hawk
    64 R2 4 speed Challenger
    63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
    63 Daytona Convert.
    53 Street rod

You see, there's this bit of chemistry referred to as "oxidation". Metals less noble than gold and platinum have an inherent attraction to free oxygen. With a bit of moisture and maybe some salt (say from an icy road treated with sodium chloride) as a catalyst, the metals (in this case refined iron) will try to satisfy their yearning to marry with some oxygen molecules. Once they manage to do so, they go to pot. Sorta like so many of us do after we get married.[xx(]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I'd say that's (Biggs) pretty much correct.

Added note: I'd say that is a crossmember from a car that's seen a full life of road salt. Notice the way it looks like a piece of wood that's split through the grain? That comes from lots'a moisture and most likely that moisture is from either ocean salt or road (snow) salt.
      I've seen cars here in sunny (?) So. Cal., living outdoors at the beach, look like that after 6 or 8 years outside.

Comment

The peeling back confused me, might be cycles of freeze and thaw.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
        64 GT Hawk
        64 R2 4 speed Challenger
        63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
        63 Daytona Convert.
        53 Street rod
        JDP Maryland

Comment

I see a number of problems there. One, it looks like some one cut with a saw about 3-4" off the end of the crossmember. And the body seems to either have been pushed upwards at the rockers or someone took a big truck and ran over the crossmember to flatten it out.

Comment

The plate appears pretty much intact so I would guess salts, in the air or on the road, attacked the spotwelds.
            "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Working...
            X