Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Starter Problem, 50 Champ

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter Problem, 50 Champ

I tore down my starter motor (Autolite on a 50 Champion). It didn't seem to be drawing enough current despite fresh cables and connections, and wasn't turning the engine over. It was really dirty, needed some fresh lube on the bendix, coat of paint on the outside, clean the terminals thoroughly. The armature looked very good. Plenty of life left on the brushes, commutator bushing fine, windings sound, etc. But I put it back together and it's developed a short somewhere, I think. In a bench test, it draws way too much current now and it doesn't spin, but obviously turns freely by hand. What did I foul up? What should I check?

Make sure one of the brush wires is not shorted to the case.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
    64 GT Hawk
    64 R2 4 speed Challenger
    63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
    63 Daytona Convert.
    53 Street rod
    JDP Maryland

Comment

Turned out that the screw holding the solenoid to the outside of the case was too long -- it was protruding through the case and shorting a field winding to the case. You know, you tear these things down, put all the hardware in a cup or something, and then it's impossible to remember whether the shorter screw went here or there. Anyway, tracked it down, fixed it. Runs good on the bench now.

Comment

Working...
      X