Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have some spacers I made out of pipe and cut with my plasma cutter. Kind of crude looking but work just fine. Anyone that needs them can borrow them, just return when finished.

Dan White
    64 R1 GT
    64 R2 GT
    Dan White
    64 R1 GT
    64 R2 GT
    58 C Cab
    57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

I am sure that I amgoing to hear flack on this but I would suggest not replacing the rubber bushings with the same old junk. THere is a vendor that sells delrin rplacements for around a hundred and a half. I had them made out of nylon for one of my cars and it sure made a difference but the cost was around $300 since I had it done locally. I sure wish that Delrin or another compound had been available 20 years ago bceasue then I would not have anothet two cars to get done again.

If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
      64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
      61 V8 Tcab
      61 Tcab 20R powered
      54 Champion Wagon
      If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
      64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
      61 V8 Tcab
      63 Tcab 20R powered
      55 Commander Wagon
      54 Champion Wagon
      46 Gibson Model A
      50 JD MC
      45 Agricat
      67 Triumph T100
      66 Bultaco Matadore

Comment

well, too late for delrin. Fortunately my brother is a mechanic. I had purchased an extra set of a-arms at a swap, and he got the old bushings pressed out in the shop, and the new ones in as well. Meanwhile, I stripped down the front end, then we just bolted her all back together. Lots of work, but everything up front is fresh, probably the first time in it's life for the a-arm bushings. Nice, firm, responsive now, just a complete difference, almost unbelieveable. Now, about those bolts for the upper a-arms, those werre a bugger to remove. Not much room for any kind of wrench both in clearance and swing room....43 years on the vehicle probably didn't help either. Thanks everyone for your help and input. My biggest take-away is that it just takes time, and expect to get pretty greasy, but in general disassembly and re-assemply just pretty much straightforward, and do what makes sense.

Comment

Isn't it a great feeling to have an old car that drives like a new car? I just went through this with my '55 coupe about 6 mos. ago, at the same time I rebuilt everything I also added a GT Hawk front bar and a '55 Prez sedan rear bar, and some HD rear springs (fronts were already HD and in good shape.) It rides soooo nice...

Now that I have the engine out I will be replacing the steering box with a better used unit and also replacing the bushing at the top of the steering column. I can hardly wait to get all this stuff back together and see what my car really was supposed to drive like!

nate

(need to stock up on rattle cans...)

--
          55 Commander Starlight
          62 Daytona hardtop
          http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
          --
          55 Commander Starlight
          http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Working...
          X