Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

2bbl Stromberg XX Question

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 2bbl Stromberg XX Question

    I want to collect a couple Stromberg 2bbl's for a 2X2 intake.
    I am looking for the ones that face backwards.

    What years are they off? (53-55??)
    Is there a special designation other than Stromberg XX?
    Can anybody tell me the rebuild part # off the top of their head?
    Who sells a wrench to get the jets out?

    Any other information you think will be helpfu please chime in.

    Thanks

  • #2
    There really isn't a lot of difference between the back draft WW and the regular WW - just the top casting and the choke linkage. If you can find a couple of backdraft parts carbs and a couple of good downdraft WW's, you can mix and match to make two good backdrafts. I'm working on a setup like that myself right now.

    Comment


    • #3
      Are you in So. Cal and comming to Peterson this week end the 19th.? If you are I will bring one with me.

      Comment


      • #4
        I have two off of two different V-8 Stude's..(as well as a few extra WW 2bbls)
        You won't be able to run air filter(s) on them as the inlets will end up within an inch of the other carb.
        I have built adapters to move the carbs up and away from one another so air filters can be used.. But if you do that and you have a '53/55 C/K you may have hood clearance issues.
        See for some pictures: http://community.webshots.com/album/226658494pQsOSR
        Hope the info helps.
        Jeff[8D]



        quote:Originally posted by 55Commander

        I want to collect a couple Stromberg 2bbl's for a 2X2 intake.
        I am looking for the ones that face backwards.

        What years are they off? (53-55??)
        Is there a special designation other than Stromberg XX?
        Can anybody tell me the rebuild part # off the top of their head?
        Who sells a wrench to get the jets out?

        Any other information you think will be helpfu please chime in.

        Thanks
        DEEPNHOCK at Cox.net
        Ocala, FL.
        '37 Coupe Express
        '37 Coupe Express Trailer
        '61 Hawk

        http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

        Jeff


        Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain



        Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

        Comment


        • #5
          This is exactly what I was looking for. So the Backdraft and newer
          carbs share everything but the top.

          What year should I use for a rebuild kit??

          I won't ba making it to Peterson, I am in Texas. Thanks for the offer though.

          Clearance shouldn't be a problem as this motor is in a hood-less Model
          A pickup.

          Comment


          • #6
            53 thru 58. but thru those years, they're not all of the same CFM capacity.

            I wonder if you couldn't use a backdraft one on the front mount and fabricate a "T" of sorts to use a later type one in the rear position. (same CFM rating, of course)

            I believe the rebuild kits you can get from NAPA or other stores will have whatever gaskets you need to accomodate all variants. Notice I said "I believe" as opposed to "I know for sure"

            As to those jets, last time I did one I used a smallish pair of needle-nosed pliers to unscrew them. [^]

            Miscreant at large.

            1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe
            1957 President 2-dr
            1955 President State
            1951 Champion Biz cpe
            1963 Daytona project FS
            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

            Comment


            • #7
              Multiple CFM ratings, now you've done it MrB.

              The one I have has a Venturi size stamped on the side,
              I assume they all do.

              I guess I need to get my math book out and figure the
              CFM required, then play with jets.

              I might try and make a jet tool tonight, they are stuck
              in the carb I have.

              DeepNHok
              Nice work on the spacer plates, I'll take your prototypes please.
              What is the purpose of the plugged hole in the exhaust crossover?
              Is that an Edmunds Custom??

              Comment


              • #8
                I have the tool to remove the jets. If you want to borrow it, send me your mailing address.

                Ted

                quote:Originally posted by 55Commander

                Multiple CFM ratings, now you've done it MrB.

                The one I have has a Venturi size stamped on the side,
                I assume they all do.

                I guess I need to get my math book out and figure the
                CFM required, then play with jets.

                I might try and make a jet tool tonight, they are stuck
                in the carb I have.

                DeepNHok
                Nice work on the spacer plates, I'll take your prototypes please.
                What is the purpose of the plugged hole in the exhaust crossover?
                Is that an Edmunds Custom??

                Comment


                • #9
                  That would be great.

                  If I have one to look at I can make my own.

                  I promise to send it right back. I will e-mail you my addy.
                  Thanks.

                  By the way Ted, I got an R2+ cam from you awhile back and it performs
                  great, really made my 289 come alive.
                  TZ

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Will send it out tomorrow. Glad the cam worked out for you.

                    Ted

                    quote:Originally posted by 55Commander

                    That would be great.

                    If I have one to look at I can make my own.

                    I promise to send it right back. I will e-mail you my addy.
                    Thanks.

                    By the way Ted, I got an R2+ cam from you awhile back and it performs
                    great, really made my 289 come alive.
                    TZ

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Thanks Ted,
                      I got the socket this morning and made my own version from a deep
                      well 5mm Craftsman socket this afternoon.

                      I'll get it back in the mail on Tue. after the holiday.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X