This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawk Power Steering addition

Thanks to those who helped me get the power steering on my 63 Hawk. It wasn't that difficult, but did encounter a few problems and missing parts, which I was able to get from Myers! If anyone is considering this, feel free to contact me and I can 'steer you' in the right direction (sorry folks, bad pun there).
    []

quote:Originally posted by RIMAN63

Thanks to those who helped me get the power steering on my 63 Hawk. It wasn't that difficult, but did encounter a few problems and missing parts, which I was able to get from Myers! If anyone is considering this, feel free to contact me and I can 'steer you' in the right direction (sorry folks, bad pun there).
    []
    Was there an earlier thread on this? I have been thinking of doing the same for my 63 Hawk. I have 2 complete power steering units from 1964 larks so I think I have most of the pieces. I know the steering gearbox is different but that seems irrelevant because the power steering part is separate from the gearbox. What I have not done yet is compare the parts between the lark and Hawk applications to see which are different. Any advice you have from having just completed this job will be greatly appreciated.

Dale

Comment

Dale,

IIRC the Pitman arm and/or control valve are different, and those are fairly important parts of the swap...

nate

--
      55 Commander Starlight
      62 Daytona hardtop
      --
      55 Commander Starlight
      http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

quote:Was there an earlier thread on this? I have been thinking of doing the same for my 63 Hawk. I have 2 complete power steering units from 1964 larks so I think I have most of the pieces. I know the steering gearbox is different but that seems irrelevant because the power steering part is separate from the gearbox. What I have not done yet is compare the parts between the lark and Hawk applications to see which are different. Any advice you have from having just completed this job will be greatly appreciated.
        Dale, I think you will find that the control valve is the part that is the same and you will need to find a different reach rod and pitman arm for your Hawk. The reach rods for C-K cars are the same '59 thru '63, '64 is slightly different. The C-K pitman arms are the same '61 thru '64. The hoses are also Hawk specific.
        Good luck,
        Tim K.
        Tim K.
        \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

I have an Eaton PS pump that needs a new shaft seal, a control valve that needs new seals, and the drag link. These are used parts and will need to be rebuilt. These where leaking on my 60 Lark, so I purchased some to rebuild, after I rebuilt them I just swapped out the pump and control valve, so what I have here are what were originally on my Lark. I do not have the hydraulic cylinder or the pitman arm. I don't know if these are the same parts you are needing [?] but If they are and you would be interested contact me off-forum

Studebaker Fever
          60 Lark
          51 Champion
          Phil

Studebaker Fever
          60 Lark
          56 Power Hawk
          Phil Hendrickson
          Arnold, Missouri

Comment

Thanks Time and Nate. I suspected the reach rod and pitman arm would be different. They look different on the Hawk compared to my Cruiser, but I had not checked beyond eyeballing them. I figured the hoses probably need to be replaced anyway. So, if I ever get time to add this project to the list, I will definitely have to ask around for some parts. I am absolutely sure no one here has them. I can't remember the last time I saw a parted out Hawk.

Dale

Comment

Dave;

I want to attach a power steering unit to my 63 Champ pickup. I know I need to use a Hawk system (though in another thread I asked about the Ford Bendix System), but where can I obtain the whole shebang? Anybody have a Hawk to part out or know where to get the parts?

(Surely this doesn't violate the the no advertising on the forum... but if it does, please reply via e-mail.)

Laisez le bon temps roulez avec un Studebaker
              Laisez le bon temps roulez avec un Studebaker

Comment

The whole set up isn't cheap. Dave Thiebault in MA might have it, as well as Myers Studebaker in Ohio.

Comment

I can usaully find a used setup out of a parts car for $300 or so.I'd bet a few will show up at York. (I'm not offering one for sale though)

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
                  64 GT Hawk
                  64 R2 4 speed Challenger
                  63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
                  63 Daytona Convert.
                  53 Street rod
                  JDP Maryland

Comment

Working...
                  X