Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

my rear end

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my rear end

I am finally doing the rear end of my 61 hawk. Have ordered shoes,hardware,cylinders,etc.[dana44]- I have a # for the axle outer bearings,but what do I use for seals??? They appear to have been a 'rope' seal at the outer end of the axles? Is there a modern seal to put there or what??
    Thanks!!!!! [I make dust all day long,this greasy crap is a mistery to me]

Studieous Maximus

Man, I sorta cringed when I clicked on this thread![}] I was afraid of what might reveal itself on my screen![:0]

Those outer seals were felt. Crimped in, no less. I know SI has them, but since that metal frame part is peculiar to a Stude, I doubt any local auto parts place is gonna have something.

Of course - you COULD get creative (maybe) and find a modern seal to fit into the old metal housing. I'm cheap enough to try something like that.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

The *inner* seal, however, is available in a neoprene "lip" seal. One of the vendors should be able to hook you up. The outers are still available in felt, so I have not been motivated to look for a replacement.

nate

--
      55 Commander Starlight
      62 Daytona hardtop
      http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
      --
      55 Commander Starlight
      http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Let us know what the outside diam. of the seal and shaft size at the seal and the thickness of the seal and we may find you one.

Comment

mr Biggs ya 'crack' me up!!I was hoping for some fun when I typed the topic![boy it's been a long winter in Illinois!] That rubber seal idea was something I'd hoped there was an answer for.
          Thanks n8n,and Alan,!!.I guess the felt seal will be good enough.
          I just ordered a bunch of stuff from SI., but I didn't think of these seals.Now they will be laughing because I'm ordering the first parts LAST.
          Alan,the part where this seal sits has the bottom 1/3 or so open for 'weapage'of the felt seal,so a piece to put a modern seal in would have to be made,maybe a good idea for a person who can build such things..Thanks Guys!!![or,Iwonder if you could put a neoprene seal in there and just fill the hole at bottom with high heat silicone?]How would you make sure the seal is straight?
          If you see a 61 Hawk between lasalle,Il and SB this May,stay out of the way!!![I'm doing the brakes myself too!]

Studieous Maximus
          Oglesby,Il.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 52hawk

mr Biggs ya 'crack' me up!!I was hoping for some fun when I typed the topic![boy it's been a long winter in Illinois!] That rubber seal idea was something I'd hoped there was an answer for.
            Thanks n8n,and Alan,!!.I guess the felt seal will be good enough.
            I just ordered a bunch of stuff from SI., but I didn't think of these seals.Now they will be laughing because I'm ordering the first parts LAST.
            Alan,the part where this seal sits has the bottom 1/3 or so open for 'weapage'of the felt seal,so a piece to put a modern seal in would have to be made,maybe a good idea for a person who can build such things..Thanks Guys!!![or,Iwonder if you could put a neoprene seal in there and just fill the hole at bottom with high heat silicone?]How would you make sure the seal is straight?
            If you see a 61 Hawk between lasalle,Il and SB this May,stay out of the way!!![I'm doing the brakes myself too!]

Studieous Maximus

You have to remember that the felt seal is considered to be a DUST seal; meant to keep road dust out of the bearing. The bearings are packed with grease, and are not supposed to get lubed by oil from the differential area, which is why there is an inner seal.

I wouldn't worry about finding a "better" replacement for that felt seal.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
            Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Gord you're right. This should have been obvious to me,but it wasn't. I tend to overlook the simple things- being a dust seal,not an oil seal makes it a 'low tech' part. Thank You!!![I do have a shop manual,guess I better get it out and start studying!]

Studieous Maximus
              Oglesby,Il.

Comment

You can replace the felts in the outer seal. Note carefully how far the retainer ring sticks out, then drill out the two spot welds that hold it. Soak the new felt in oil for an hour or so, then push it in and put the retainer ring in place. Use a couple of pop rivets to hold it.

When you tighten the nuts to the backing plate, put them on just finger tight first, then slide a drum on part way to center the seal assembly. This will make the felt last longer. Then tighten the nuts fully.

Because these seal assemblies have a lot of slop in the mounting holes, I don't know if putting a modern neoprene lip seal would work well. If it's off center too far, it won't seal and it will wear out fast. The felt will compress and keep working. They've been using them for more than 50 years, they can't be THAT bad!

Gary Ash
                Dartmouth, MA
                '48 M5
                '65 Wagonaire Commander
                '63 Wagonaire Standard
                www.studegarage.com
                Gary Ash
                Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
                ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
                '48 M5
                '65 Wagonaire Commander
                '63 Wagonaire Standard
                web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

Right on Gary,Thank You.and BTW,the car is not for sale!!! Seriously thanks to all that responded,after sitting in the corner for 2 yrs,the hawk is under way again.Hope to have it running in May to go to SB swap meet and show.

Studieous Maximus
                  Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Working...
                  X