This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 65 Daytona conversion

I have a 65 daytona,gm v8,3 speed overdrive I rescued from the scrap yard years ago. It has a fixable body and good black vinal interior but would like to change back to stude v8 and stick trans.I have a doaner engine out of a 62 champ truck with stick shift.Will that work if I change motor mounts or do I need lark parts out of a doaner car. Thanks,Neil G

AFAIK the truck bellhousing is more rare than the car bellhousing so you might try to trade for the regular car stuff. You would also need the frame mounts on the front x-member and probably the x-member that holds the bellhousing, although I cannot confirm nor deny the last.

This may sound like heresy, but while I agree that the STude engine is superior to a Chev 283, IMHO the effort to do the conversion probably might be better spend on a 350 "crate" motor, would provide more power, less headaches, and would likely last as long as you'll own the car. Plus if you ever sold the car to a restorer you could just throw the old 283 in the trunk.

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    62 Daytona hardtop
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

quote:Originally posted by N8N

AFAIK the truck bellhousing is more rare than the car bellhousing so you might try to trade for the regular car stuff. You would also need the frame mounts on the front x-member and probably the x-member that holds the bellhousing, although I cannot confirm nor deny the last.

This may sound like heresy, but while I agree that the STude engine is superior to a Chev 283, IMHO the effort to do the conversion probably might be better spend on a 350 "crate" motor, would provide more power, less headaches, and would likely last as long as you'll own the car. Plus if you ever sold the car to a restorer you could just throw the old 283 in the trunk.

nate

--
      55 Commander Starlight
      62 Daytona hardtop
      Would a '65 with a Studebaker V8 in it be classified as a Custom or Modified at an SDC meet? Kind of makes your head spin thinking about it, doesn't it.

-Dick-
      Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Neil,you want to change BACK to a 'Stude v-8'.You do realize your '65 came from the factory with a GM v-8 [Chevy 283]..
        Dick,I'd say 'modified' !!!

Studieous Maximus
        Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Neil,
          Your gonna need as N8 noted the frame engine mounts, the car engine mounts on the block are different too(even though they look the same, they aint,found out the hard way)the car bellhousing and mounts,and minor bits and pieces. Your current tranmission will mount to the bellhousing and be supported by it.
          You may need some new head duty front springs once you get it all in place.

The Transmission xmember used in the Gm powered cars you can recycle by selling to someone going the other way.

The car bellhousing will mount on the crossmember directly beneath the cowl , the outer wings hold up the front of the body.

Comment

Thanks Guys for your information and feed back .Studebakers have always been a part of my life,grew up in stude family,took my drivers test in them,drove them in high school and college,then life got in the way and my studes had to fade into the background for far to long.Now that is retirement is getting closer its time to get the tools out and get one or two of them back together.I have always liked 65,66s interiors over 64s and owned and driven 3 of them -65 cruiser,66 cruiser,66 daytona - but they just dont seem like real studebakers to me without a stude v8 in them .Several years ago at the York Pa swap meet a black on black 65 Daytona coupe was in the parking lot and I fantisied about how one like that would look and sound with a camed up-big valve head sude v8. Thanks again for help and info. Neil G
            NEIL G.

Comment

Oh goody! Guys, does that mean we can talk him out of his rare Chevy. small block V-8 or "6" engine to Borg Warner T-86 or T-10 Ford case 4 speed tranny aluminum bell housing !!!! LOL Rich.

StudeRich
              Ferndale, WA
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

If that black '65 Daytona that you saw at York is the one that I think that it is, it should go good even if it doesn't sound like a Studebaker V8. The car that I am thinking of, a regular at York in past years, was converted to a 400 cubic inch Chevrolet V8 many years ago. My last Studebaker pickup had a 400 Chevy and it moved pretty good.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Since it had a GM engine in it, I would pick up a used LT1 from a 4th
                  Gen F-body or 94-96 B-body and drop that in. That way you can either
                  have a 4L60E 4 spd auto OR a 6 speed manual! That would be QUITE
                  nice in a lightweight Daytona 2 dr sedan.

To put a Stude back in, you would need to replace the whole mount on
                  the frame, both sides.

Tom

1963 Studebaker Avanti, 102,000, custom made brake brackets to mount 1998 Mustang GT 4 wheel disc brakes (soon to get 13" Cobra front brakes, 2003 Mustang Cobra 17" wheels, GM altenator, will be getting : 97 Camaro Z28 tan leather seats, 97 Camaro Z28 T-56 6-speed trans, Ported 'R3' style Avanti heads with stainless full flow valves, 'R3' 276 duration cam w/chrysler solid lifters, shortened push rods, aluminum cam gear, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires, waiting in the garage.
                  '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                  Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                  http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                  I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Oh goody! Guys, does that mean we can talk him out of his rare Chevy. small block V-8 or "6" engine to Borg Warner T-86 or T-10 Ford case 4 speed tranny aluminum bell housing !!!! LOL Rich.

StudeRich
                    Ferndale, WA
                    The bellhousings were cast iron for manual trannys. Only the light duty Model 35 BW auto had aluminium bellhousing (and case.)

Comment

Working...
                    X