Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

starter is acting weird

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starter is acting weird

lately and not often when i start my car my starter keeps winding. i turn the car off when i hear it happening and restart the car and it's fine. i'm not sure what it could be, any ideas?

Without further information I would think the quickest, cheapest maybe would be to replace the solenoid.[?]
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

solenoid been replace, probably less then a year old.

Comment

remove the starter and just clean it up real good. My guess is the bendix is sticking and a good cleaning will likely fix it. Might as well stick a hose up in the bellhousing as well, might be some mud etc. in there after all these years.

Pretty much any rotating electrical thingy on a Stude I've had to disassemble, clean, and lube - but the good news is you *can* and as long as nothing's broken they usually work like new afterwards.

nate

--
        55 Commander Starlight
        62 Daytona hardtop
        http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
        --
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Cosmo, from what you said, it's unclear to me whether the engine's turning or not when the starter runs on. Which is it?

Either way, I agree with Nate that the first step would be cleaning the starter and bendix up.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President 2-dr
          1955 President State
          1951 Champion Biz cpe
          1963 Daytona project FS
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

yes the engine does run and at the same time the starter will be winding. when that happens i just shut the car down and start again and it starts fine with no winding. so you guys think just a good cleaning and everything will be fine?

Comment

Yeah, clean and lube the bendix and the part of the shaft it works on. OTOH, It might require a new bendix.[}]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe
              1957 President 2-dr
              1955 President State
              1951 Champion Biz cpe
              1963 Daytona project FS
              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
              X