This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12 Volt Overdrive Components

Where can one find 12 Volt electrical overdrive components? I'm assuming that would consist of the OD relay in the engine compartment, and the OD solenoid and governor attached to the OD unit itself. Anyone know sources for these in 12v configuration? Maybe even non-Stude vendors?

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup

Not sure if they will fit, but have a T-86 out of a Ford laying
    here in the shop, 57-59 vintage.
    The solenoid looks the same as a stude, but I haven't messed with a OD transmission for twenty years.
    Hope this helps
    John

Comment

Yes, thanks, that does help. I didn't know Ford used that transmission. If they are interchangeable, that opens up a world of parts.

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup

Paul Simpson
      "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
      The Red-Headed Amazon
      Deep in the heart of Texas

Comment

Late overdrives did not use a relay, but had a different solinoid. What year are you working on ? BTW, Studebaker stuff is not rare or expensive.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
        64 GT Hawk
        64 R2 4 speed Challenger
        63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
        53 Street rod
        JDP Maryland

Comment

JDP, I'm working on a 55 truck. Previous owner converted some things to 12v already, and disconnected the kickdown switch, opting to wire in a toggle switch on the dash, instead.

I want to convert all OD components to 12v versions, and bring the kickdown switch back into the system. Basically, make it stock in operation, but with parts necessary for a 12v system. You could say I want a truck that looks like a '55 on the outside, but under the hood looks more like a '56 (the year they went to 12v).

I honestly don't remember if the 6v OD relay is still there. I do have a copy of the Borg Warner OD operation manual, with its many illustrations and explanations (couldn't do without that).

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup

Paul Simpson
          "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
          The Red-Headed Amazon

Comment

If the setup you end up using needs a relay, you can use a regular old Bosch or Hella fused relay, like you'd use for a set of fog lights, rather than track down an original unit. I think they come in 20A and 30A versions, either of which should be sufficient.

nate

--
            55 Commander Starlight
            62 Daytona hardtop
            --
            55 Commander Starlight
            http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

I know I have a 12volt solenoid here. I may have a relay as well. I'll look.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe
              1957 President 2-dr
              1955 President State
              1951 Champion Biz cpe
              1963 Daytona project FS
              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Thanks for the interchange info, Nate. And Biggsy, hold that 12v solenoid for me, if you have a spare one to sell. I'm in the parts-gathering stage right now. I still haven't had the rebuilt motor shipped here yet (and with its new doubled horsepower due to the hopped up rebuild by G.P.O. Automotive, maybe I'll never need overdrive again ).

I read on some website just now that the governor should not need to be changed for this 6v to 12v conversion, as it's just a switch. Does that sound right?

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup

Paul Simpson
                "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                The Red-Headed Amazon

Comment

Since we are on the topic of 12v parts in an original 6v truck:

I bought this gas gauge for 1956 and later C-Cabs, to replace the one in my 55, which was not even wired by previous owner:

Maybe he knew it would not read correctly after he wired the truck for 12v? Anyway, the parts books show a different part number (the one I bought) for 2E-8E C-Cabs compared to the gauge used in the 6v 54 & 55 C-Cabs.

Paul Simpson
                  "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                  The Red-Headed Amazon

Comment

I agree that the governor is just a switch; and voltage probably isn't important. Maybe a 6V has heavier contacts. There are 1 & 2 wire governors. The 1 wire provides a ground above 20 something mph. The 2 wire provides continuity above 20 something.
                    Voltage is important, for the solenoid. Also, there are 2 and 3 wire solenoids. The 3 wire brings both ends of the control winding out to terminals. The 2 wire has one end of the winding grounded internally. Both have one terminal that is grounded when in OD. It's wired through the kickdown switch; to ground the ignition points momentarily so od can shift out. It won't shift, under load.
                    If you understand how the different electrical components work, you can do some mixing and matching.
                    Mike M.

Comment

Studebaker used a relay in the OD system thru the 1957 model cars and thru the '59 model trucks. After those years, the relay disappeared and basically, it's function was incorporated into the newer style solenoid.
                      The early solenoids (6V & 12V) have only two terminals on them whereas the later type solenoids (later 12V, that is) have three terminals on the solenoid.

Yes Dillo, I have a solenoid for you. I'll have to look and see if I can find a 12 volt relay as well. If not, one can easily be made using parts from Radio Shack.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                      1960 Larkvertible V8
                      1958 Provincial wagon
                      1953 Commander coupe
                      1957 President 2-dr
                      1955 President State
                      1951 Champion Biz cpe
                      1963 Daytona project FS
                      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Thanks, Biggsy, and everyone else. Seems I recall seeing an article about how to rebuild an overdrive relay somewhere - oh yeah, here it is, although it is for a 6v OD relay:

DilloCrafter

Paul Simpson
                        "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                        The Red-Headed Amazon

Comment

i have a complete 12 od trans for sale very cheap

brent wood nh

Comment

That's good to know, Bill. However, it won't work in Dillo's truck.[:I]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                            1960 Larkvertible V8
                            1958 Provincial wagon
                            1953 Commander coupe
                            1957 President 2-dr
                            1955 President State
                            1951 Champion Biz cpe
                            1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

Working...
                            X