Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

minor misfiring

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• minor misfiring

well i finally got the bulk of my carb issues worked ou(swapped 2 barrel to edelbrock 4) but when i it on the road it was misfiring pretty good. so i re-gapped my points, changed my plugs, and it got a lot better but i can still hear a bit of popping. plus, when my car starts to heat up a bit, it hardly idles. maybe a stupid question but with my timing marks lined up, the rotor should be pointing exactly at the number 1 wire...leading to the #1 piston(front drivers side?). now is it the side of the rotor with the metal on it or the fatter plastic end that should be pointing at this wire? i think my distributer may be 180deg backwards. is this possible, and how good can an engine run like this?

notsoslow64
    1964 lark daytona
    bd_marks@yahoo.com

The engine will not run if it's 180 out of time, but the piston comes to TDC twice, once on the exhaust stroke, once on compression. You looked at the rotor on the wrong stroke.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
    64 GT Hawk
    64 R2 4 speed Challenger
    63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
    53 Street rod
    JDP Maryland

Comment

aaaaaaahhhhhh, i see, still the misfiring though? it has been like this since i bough the car about a year ago, and i just can't get rid of it.

notsoslow64
      1964 lark daytona
      bd_marks@yahoo.com

Comment

Check the firing order and plus wires first. It could be a bad valve too, but check the easy stuff first, then run a compression check.

64 GT Hawk
        64 R2 4 speed Challenger
        63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
        53 Street rod
        JDP Maryland

Comment

do the pistons count 1-4 drivers side front to back then 5-8 passengers side front to back? and does the firing order on the distributor go clockwise?

notsoslow64
          1964 lark daytona
          bd_marks@yahoo.com

Comment

nope, 1-3-5-7 driver's side and 2-4-6-8 pass side, dist. rotates CCW (timing gears, not a chain, remember?) firing order 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2

it is possible to get a dist. 180 out, but you have to make sure that #1 is at TDC on its *compression* stroke before you can make that call. Either put your thumb over the plug hole as you bring it up to TDC (you will feel the air pushing your thumb out if you're on the compression stroke) or else pull the driver's side valve cover and verify that both valves are closed at #1 TDC. Then your dist. rotor should be pointing at no. 1.

Even if the dist. is out, just start with #1 wire wherever the rotor is pointing and work around. easier than pulling the dist. and reinstalling it, unless you're one of those guys (like me) that likes to have everything "by the book" and it will bother you if it's not right.

nate

--
            55 Commander Starlight
            62 Daytona hardtop
            http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
            --
            55 Commander Starlight
            http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

should the rotors "big side" or the side with the metal tab be pointing at the #1 at tdc?

notsoslow64
              1964 lark daytona
              bd_marks@yahoo.com

Comment

quote:Originally posted by benny_64

should the rotors "big side" or the side with the metal tab be pointing at the #1 at tdc?

notsoslow64
                1964 lark daytona
                bd_marks@yahoo.com
                The side with the electrode/"metal tab". That's #1, TDC, compression stroke.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

well i checked all my wires, gapped my points again, and played with the timing. on start up it runs great, but once it warms up it starts to misfire, worse then before, and especially at higher rpms. is this a timing problem? one other thing is i noticed the cam in my distributer is a little worn down. could spring tension cause this misfiring?

notsoslow64
                  1964 lark daytona
                  bd_marks@yahoo.com

Comment

Hot misfiring could be a bad coil, condensor or a valve issue,

64 GT Hawk
                    64 R2 4 speed Challenger
                    63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
                    53 Street rod
                    JDP Maryland

Comment

probably a valve then, my car sat for about 5 months while i was painting and restoring it, i drove it everyday before that and drive it everyday now. but since it sat it has been smoking a little on start up and puts out a pretty good stink when i get on it, but not a whole lot of smoke. i have a set of heads i got from biggs that i had re-built for a engine i am building, i am thinking of saving up for aluminum heads to put on instead. maybe i'll swap out those heads this weekend.

notsoslow64
                      1964 lark daytona
                      bd_marks@yahoo.com

Comment

check your dwell with a dwell meter, if the lobe is worn setting by gap may not be accurate. also check your valve clearances, a valve may be hanging open when hot, set them a little loose and see if that solves your problem.

nate

--
                        55 Commander Starlight
                        62 Daytona hardtop
                        http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
                        --
                        55 Commander Starlight
                        http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

a buddy of mine at work today said this could be vapor lock. i have never had this problem, so i don't know really how it works. does this sound like a possibility?

notsoslow64
                          1964 lark daytona
                          bd_marks@yahoo.com

Comment

The one thing in the ignition you didn't mention that probably causes most misfires is the dist cap. A crack, carbon track, oily dirt or moisture can cause crossfiring within the cap or misfiring.
                            To start lift the cap and cover the dist with a rag. Then spray the inside of the cap with carb cleaner or starting spray and brush it with a soft old paint brush to scour it clean. Spray it again and blow it dry with air. Upon close examination you may see the contacts worn or a crack which indicates a new cap. Replace the cap and test run...this has solved many firing problems.

Comment

well i got in touch with my uncle, (mechanic for about a hundred years) i brought up to him that my pistons have a lot of carbon/goo build up. he thinks that the reason my car didn't act up till it was hot was that all the build up was getting so hot that it was igniting my fuel before it was in its full compression. does this sound accurate? well i pulled my heads cleaned up the pistons, put on my oter set of heads, and fired it up. it idled perfect, i let it warm up for a bit then re-torqed the heads. so now i am ready to make my valve adjustments. any advise would be great. i have never done the valves on a stude and have done minimal prior to this. is it possible to set everything accuratly with the engine off and cold, without the aid of a light bulb connected to the ignition? thanks for any help. benny.

notsoslow64
                              1964 lark daytona
                              bd_marks@yahoo.com

Comment

Working...
                              X