This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• engine

i will take all of your advice and put a stude motor in my 57 champion now who's got one that tuns over that will let it go cheap of for nothing i will pay for freight i live in New Hampshire

Bill, why don't you try:

Comment

i did nothing really close i dont mind paying for shipping with in reason but when you talk 1000 - 1500 i dont think so i will put a ford 6 in it for a lot less than that

brent wood nh

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bills 57 champion

i did nothing really close i dont mind paying for shipping with in reason but when you talk 1000 - 1500 i dont think so i will put a ford 6 in it for a lot less than that

brent wood nh
        Well, you get what you pay for. Seems to me you are a tad impatient, and are looking for an instant answer, when everybody knows it takes time to network and find the right engine at the right price. For that matter, have you even made a serious effort to un-stick your present engine? Why not simply go for the gusto and have a fully rebuilt Champion engine done? Cathcart's Studebaker is in Connecticut, <www.cathcartsstudebaker.com> and that is what he does, rebuilds Champion engines, both stock and high-performance.

If you do go with a Ford six swap, you may find it a tough go. The Champion engine is a lot shorter than competitive sixes, and the engine compartments of Studebakers are sized accordingly; they will accomodate a Champion six, or most any V8, but they are darn short for a Brand X inline six. You'd have to modify the rad support at the very least. A GM V6 might be the best potential swap, in that it would fit pretty readily, and not make so much power that the rest of the driveline and brakes would become inadequate.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
        Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Bill,

I have to agree with Gordon. I was in your shoes seven months ago when I bought a 55 truck on eBay for a good price. But it had a tired (yet running) Champion six, same 185.6 cu.in. as your car has. I eventually came to the conclusion that the truck is too cool not to "do it up right". So, I found another inexpensive Champion Six (same cu. in.) and it's now been completely rebuilt with internal modifications for HUGE power increases. The price will be about the same as Bill Cathcart charges, and he's in your area. You ought to consider having him rebuild it. It's like my wise older brother said (when talking about forking over the money for good quality woodworking power tools): "You can cry now (and pay a lot for something great that will last) or cry later (by paying a little for something that won't last long or run well).

Here's Bill Cathcart's web address:

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup

Paul Simpson
          "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
          The Red-Headed Amazon
          Deep in the heart of Texas

Comment

Here is the problem with the old one someone beat the snot out of it with a hammer tring to free it up before i got it the deck lid junk it is a beter idea to go with a brand x motor so now i will need you guys help for motor mounts and stuff i am going with a FORD 6 i will customize the trans hump instead of the radiator support did it befor for my vega unless the replacement head gasket can take up the marks but i dought it i look at that web site 3000 to rebuid a motor or do a little customizing and drop in a running motor found for free

brent wood nh

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bills 57 champion

...is a beter idea to go with a brand x motor so now i will need you guys help for motor mounts and stuff i am going with a FORD 6
              Brent, Studebaker never installed Ford engines in their cars. Motor mounts are going to need to be custom made. As mentioned above, a 4.3L Chevy V-6 will be a far easier swap because it uses SBC mounts, so mounts for a '65-'66 V-8 car should make this far easier. Matted to a newer GM automatic, it should be a reasonably easy swap and get you good gas mileage at the same time.

One other note, and this isn't meant in a bad way, just as a piece of advice. As in any project, you get what you pay for. Cutting corners will compromise the end result. Sometimes this is OK (using a V-6 instead of a V-8, or a 3 speed trans instead of a 5 speed). Other times, such as the case with your Ford engine swap, you'll create more longterm headaches than what may think.

When changing a cars driveline, a plan needs to be laid out. Measure the new engine, and the engine compartment you plan on putting it in. Leave some room at the back, and make sure you leave enough room for the cooling system including the fan(s). Look over and understand what wiring changes will need to be made. Make sure you'll be able to close your hood (I've seen this mistake made more than once).

You may find you might want to sell your Ford and get a GM engine (proven combination, easily available parts). I sounds like you're looking for instant gradification. Unfortunately with cars, this isn't usually the way things work out. Good luck with your project.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Tom - Sterling Heights, MI

Ancient Chinese Proverb: "Injection is nice, but I'd rather be blown!"

1964 Studebaker Daytona - Laguna Blue, Original 4-Spd. Car, Power Steering, Disc Brakes, Bucket Seats, Tinted Glass, Climatizer Ventilation System, AM Radio (136,989 Miles)
              Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
              1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Why don't you put an ad in Turning Wheels (look in the want ads), ebay, or even the Studebaker News Group (alt.autos.studebaker) for an engine. There should be plenty around and some guys may almost give you one if you will pick it up. If you are looking for a quicky the way you are going will probably not be it!

Here is a Stude 6 on ebay!

Dan White
                64 R1 GT
                64 R2 GT
                Dan White
                64 R1 GT
                64 R2 GT
                58 C Cab
                57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Working...
                X