Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Champ Front End

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Champ Front End

I'm not far from putting the engine and transmission into my truck. Since I have the front cap off, I decided I ought to clean up the front end. Though I may put a power steering unit in at a later date, I am trying to keep things simple since I am going in with a 700R4 transmission behind a Stude V-8.

My question is: besides putting new grease zerks and cleaning and greasing the front end, if I put the front end up on jack stands can I check to see if the king pins need to be replaced? What should I look for? Or is the state of the king pins checkable other than just replacing them?

Laisez le bon temps roulez avec un Studebaker

YOU LOOK FOR LOSE NESS JUST LIKE BALL JOINT AND YOU SAY YOU PUT A 700R4 CAN I DO THE OPOSIT AND PUT A CHEVY 6 TO THE STUD TRANS

Comment

Yeah, you can check them! Take the front wheel off and grab the brake backing plate (with drums and all intact) - top and bottom - and rock it on a vertical plane. It's gonna give a little bit but it shouldn't have "slop" to it![xx(]

Heh - I looked at a Champ a guy was selling some years ago. I asked if he had a floor jack I could use to test the kingpins. As the wheels came off the floor, I noticed them both flop inwards at the bottom.[:0][xx(][}] Not good, to say the least!

This same truck had a door pillar that was an honest 2 or 3 inches of BONDO thick!!![xx(] I had to pass on the truck even tho it was "bargain priced" at 1200 bucks. (Did I mention the 232 it was fitted with had no oil pressure???[}])

bill, he can mount a GM tranny because there's folks that make adaptors to do so. But only for the Turbo350 / 700R4 automatics - nothing for stick shift or to mate Stude tranny's to Brand X engines.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President 2-dr
      1955 President State
      1951 Champion Biz cpe
      1963 Daytona project FS
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Make sure you lube and check the bearings in the center steering bell crank, if they are worn, you might see the wheels flop in at the bottom, similar to the way that Bob/Mr. Biggs described bad king pins

Studebaker Fever
        60 Lark
        51 Champion
        Phil

Studebaker Fever
        60 Lark
        56 Power Hawk
        Phil Hendrickson
        Arnold, Missouri

Comment

Ah - Phil - a Champ truck don't have a center bellcrank.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President 2-dr
          1955 President State
          1951 Champion Biz cpe
          1963 Daytona project FS
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Bob, Now that you say that I do remember that the question was asked about a Champ truck, but I had in my head a Champion CAR [:0] Sorry bout that

Studebaker Fever
            60 Lark
            51 Champion
            Phil

Studebaker Fever
            60 Lark
            56 Power Hawk
            Phil Hendrickson
            Arnold, Missouri

Comment

I sorta thought that might be the case

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe
              1957 President 2-dr
              1955 President State
              1951 Champion Biz cpe
              1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

Hey, Biggs
                That Champ truck you mentioned, it wasnt a blue long bed with a repair to the passenger door and right front of the bed was it???

Comment

When I saw it Charlie, it was a beige color. The top edges of the bed were BADLY mangled from having section of pipe dropped on them [xx(] Or at least that's what the owner'd told me.[}]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe
                  1957 President 2-dr
                  1955 President State
                  1951 Champion Biz cpe
                  1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

Must have been a different Champ then, this one , a 8E7 only had repairs to the right side. It was originally that sand beige-metallic color Stude trucks used in 63-64. It had a car 289 block but many older Stude parts on the engine(exhaust manifolds, carb rear draft 2v Stromberg., water pump manifold.
                    It suffered from no oil pressure too.

Comment

Working...
                    X