Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Door screws

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Door screws

Does anyone know where i can find a phillips bit large enough to take out the door hinge screws on my 64 wagon and challenger? A #3 philips looks like it is too small. Thanks guys, have a Merry Christmas.

desertdoc

64 Challenger project
    64 Wagoinare project

I am not sure of the number size fot the proper bit, but I know those screws can be a bear to break loose. I went to Sears, and bought a hand impact kit, the one you hit with a big hammer. It came with bit that fit just right. Get extra bits for the impact, you may need them, I did.

Ross.
    57 Provincial
    58 Transtar
    66 Wagonaire
    sigpic
    Ross.
    Riverside, Ca.
    1957 Provincial X2
    1958 Transtar

Comment

You're right, #3 is too small. Regular #4 is not the correct bit either, although it may work. Look for a #4 POSIDRIVE. This is important! That isn't a brand name, it describes the shape and size of the tool bit head. It fits the screw slots correctly. You may find this bit at an industrial tool supply, or a NAPA store, or you may have to hang around a dealership/repair garage and meet one of the tool truck drivers on his route day. Snap-On sold this item as part # FPD-41. Couldn't tell you if that's still a good number. Get a good quality hand impact driver too.

Dwain G.

Comment

One of those hammer type impact driver tools ia almost a requirement to get these screws out reliably. Having tried several different methods and breaking about every Phillips bit known to man, I keep this tool in special reserve to take these screws out. SASCO had a bunch of these screws in stock, although I don't think they were listed at the official part number.
        Hope the info helps...
        Jeff[8D]

[quote]Originally posted by desertdoc

Does anyone know where i can find a phillips bit large enough to take out the door hinge screws on my 64 wagon and challenger? A #3 philips looks like it is too small. Thanks guys, have a Merry Christmas.
        desertdoc [quote]

DEEPNHOCK at Cox.net
        '37 Coupe Express
        '37 Coupe Express Trailer
        '61 Hawk

http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Sears has a impact screwdriver that uses a 5/16" shank and a 1/2" drive use that socket on your 1/2" air impact and the door screws come out like they were put in yesterday.

Comment

I'll third the hand impact tool. I usually use a hard rubber mallet. I had no problem getting them out, but my car also came from California .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Tom - Sterling Heights, MI

Ancient Chinese Proverb: "Injection is nice, but I'd rather be blown!"

1964 Studebaker Daytona - Laguna Blue, Original 4-Spd. Car, Power Steering, Disc Brakes, Bucket Seats, Tinted Glass, Climatizer Ventilation System, AM Radio (136,989 Miles)
            Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
            1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Well, living in California, and having dealt with many a California Studebaker, I can state catagorically that it's not instant insurance that the door screws will just spin right out! Fact is, I had to drill out 4 door hinge screws on this 58 Provincial just recently. The heads just twisted right off and I was left with the task of drilling out the screw shanks.[xx(] Not one of my FAVORITE jobs, but with a good drill bit and an easy-out, they've all gone bye-bye now.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe
              1957 President 2-dr
              1955 President State
              1951 Champion Biz cpe
              1963 Daytona project FS
              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
              X