Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Exhaust fumes

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Exhaust fumes

    How far behind the bumper does the exhaust pip go? I get some fumes on a cold night with a tail wind. I think the previous owner 'circumcised' the tail pipe, I do not detect any leaks in the system.

  • #2
    What body style car?

    Build a man a fire and you warm him for a night. Set a man on fire and you warm him for the rest of his life!

    Comment


    • #3
      MY TAILPIPE COMES OUT TO THE REAR OF THE BUMPER,I PUT A CHROME EXHAUST DEFLECTOR ON IT AND BROUGHT IT OUT TO ABOUT A HALF OF AN INCH FROM END OF BUMPER GUARD. YOU CAN GET ONE AT WALMART OR PEP BOYS FOR LESS THAN TEN DOLLARS. I THINK YOU MIGHT WANT TO RECHECK FOR LEAKS. HOPE THIS SOLVES YOUR PROBLEM. CHAMP

      Comment


      • #4
        It is a President State 1955. I had it into a muffler shop for a check, also if I cover the tail pipe end and I do not see or hear exhaust noise from the system.

        Comment


        • #5
          quote:Originally posted by curt

          It is a President State 1955. I had it into a muffler shop for a check, also if I cover the tail pipe end and I do not see or hear exhaust noise from the system.
          Those C/K's can get exhaust into the cabin if the trunk seal is not doing its job. Exhaust pipe should not have to stick out past the bumper (I think it would look strange if it did).

          -Dick-
          Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

          Comment


          • #6
            MY TAILPIPE STICKS OUT ONE AND A HALF INCHES PAST THE REAR BUMPER AND ONE A HALF INCHES INSIDE OF BUMPER GUARD,AND IT DOES NOT LOOK A BIT STRANGE TO ME DICK. I JUST HAD THIS MUFFLER AND TAILPIPE INSTALLED LAST WEEK BY A PROFESSIONAL MUFFLER SHOP. CHAMP

            Comment


            • #7
              quote:Originally posted by CHAMP

              MY TAILPIPE STICKS OUT ONE AND A HALF INCHES PAST THE REAR BUMPER AND ONE A HALF INCHES INSIDE OF BUMPER GUARD,AND IT DOES NOT LOOK A BIT STRANGE TO ME DICK. I JUST HAD THIS MUFFLER AND TAILPIPE INSTALLED LAST WEEK BY A PROFESSIONAL MUFFLER SHOP. CHAMP
              Sorry...I said that wrong. I ment on my car. Here's my '53. The tail pipes come out just barely past the rear valence. On MY car, I think they would look strange if they were the foot or so longer they would need to be to be past the bumper.

              -Dick-

              Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

              Comment


              • #8
                VERY, VERY, VERY NICE 53 DICK, MY FIRST STUDE WAS A 53. CHAMP

                Comment


                • #9
                  That's one good looking rear!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    The seal may be where to start, the trunk has a very exhaust fume smell when the car does not smell.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Dick, that is a great looking car. My first Stude was a '54 Champ C body and I am envious of your '53 hardtop. I'd love to see your car in person sometime but at half a country apart that is not very likely to happen.
                      wagone and Avanti I

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        quote:Originally posted by wagone

                        Dick, that is a great looking car. My first Stude was a '54 Champ C body and I am envious of your '53 hardtop. I'd love to see your car in person sometime but at half a country apart that is not very likely to happen.
                        wagone and Avanti I
                        I'm going to try my darndest to get it to Omaha next year. It's already been to Lincoln on AmeriCruise, so it sort of knows the way

                        -Dick-
                        Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X