Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

cylinder head for 170 ci six.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cylinder head for 170 ci six.

I have my step-father's 62 lark-daytona. The cyl. head has three small cracks in it. I'm in the south central area of Michigan. I would like to find a source for a replacement head or a lead on a shop that can weld the cracks in the cast. I've been told cracking was a problem and a replacement head is difficult to find.
    Thanks!
    Johnr

SASCO (nor no other vendor I know of) has any. It's gonna be a search for a good used one or having yours fixed. Good used ones are getting hard to find.[}]
    Cracks in the OHV heads seem to be the rule rather than the exception. They were prone to do so, especially if they were ever run hot at all.[V]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

My 63 Has a complete 6 cyl (less carb and dist) that I was going to toss out. You can have it for free if interested. I am in Ontario, about 2 hrs from Port Huron Michigan.. I have no idea what the head is like but the p.o said the engine ran great. Here's a pic:

Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan

Comment

Thanks for confirming my suspicions, and what I'm quickly learning about the 170 ci cylinder head. I have a lead on a local welder who repairs cylinder heads. If this doesn't work out, I'll certainly be looking for a replacement.

A gentleman at SASCO was kind enough to take the time to talk with me about the head problems. I had no idea the head was cracked until taking it in to have the valves ground. (#5 cylinder was weak.) The shop cleaned and magna-fluxed the head, revealing the hair-line cracks in three cylinders.

This web site has been a treasure trove of information and interesting reading regarding the subject of Studebakers. Thanks guys!

Johnr

Comment

Todd, I hate to see ANYTHING Studebaker tossed! But I also understand the realities of life sometimes dictate letting stuff go if it's gonna be a real liability.
          That said, if you MUST "dispose" of that OHV6, at least try to save the head and the distributor for someone else to benefit from.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President 2-dr
          1955 President State
          1951 Champion Biz cpe
          1963 Daytona project FS
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
          X