This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Filter

My 259 does not have an oil filter. Last weekend I picked up a remote screw-on filter adapter, apparently half of one of the kits sold to move a filter from the block to the chassis. If I install this on the 259, do I need a restricter of some sort to maintain oil pressure, and if so, where do I put it?

jj

Actually, if you only drive your car during the Summer months and not a lot of miles, you really don't need an oil filter. My '59 Lark didn't come equipped with an oil filter, but no problems. I change my oil every year. I drive the car about 500 miles per year.
    Of course it would be different if you drive your car a lot.
    Rog
    '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
    Smithtown,NY
    Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

I think the easiest thing to do would be to buy a partial flow filter setup from someone parting an engine, it's easy to plumb in and hopefully will come with all the correct restrictor fittings. Only tricky bit will be having the hoses made, unless someone's repro'd them.

I actually have what you need, but I think I will put it back on my '62 Lark when I sell it (it has the "heavy duty" canister style filter on it now, which is much less messy to change. The packrat in me wants to hold onto the canister just in case I get another partial flow car...)

nate

--
      55 Commander Starlight
      62 Daytona hardtop
      --
      55 Commander Starlight
      http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Studebaker International has reproduced the hoses. Page 104 of their current catalog; various lengths for various applications.
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I agree with Studeroger. I have added oil filters to Studebakers just for the look. I, also, have driven many more Studebaker V8s without any oil filter and without any oil related problems. Just use a good quality oil and change it at least as often as Studebaker recommended. Many Studebakers, and other cars, were initially sold without oil filters and oil (its additive package) is better now than it was half a century ago.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Thanks, all

Guess I will just keep changing the oil frequently. I have most of the original partial flow oil filter but no fittings or hoses. Mostly, I just don't like the look of the original filter--the 259 is modified somewhat, as per suggestions and parts from Ted Harbit, and is in a 1947 M-5 truck. An all-Studebaker street rod, I suppose. I found the screw-on filter adapter for 50 cents, so figured what the hey, maybe it will work and look good.

jj

Comment

There's nothing to stop you from using the correct filter mount *AS* a remote filter... brake lines will work to plumb it in; the fittings are regular flare fittings. But I would put a short length of hose in there where it connects to the engine to allow for movement. Just tap one of the four little fittings on the heads, and return the oil to the breather stack.

nate

--
              55 Commander Starlight
              62 Daytona hardtop
              --
              55 Commander Starlight

Comment

DO use a restricted fitting tho! Otherwise you'll just dump oil pressure thru the filter setup. And make sure you put that restrictor on the inlet side of the filter. Otherwise, you'll pressurize that filter and risk making a gosh-awful mess!!! [xx(][V]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe
                1957 President 2-dr
                1955 President State
                1951 Champion Biz cpe
                1963 Daytona project FS
                No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

One more thought... use this suggestion at your own risk as I have not tried it. You could possibly use transmission cooler hose and FI-type hose clamps to plumb in the filter; just make a short piece of brake line for a hose barb and put a "bubble" on the end to hold the hose. You can do this by just starting to make a double flare but not finishing it, if that makes any sense. This way you can make nice neat hard lines coming off the engine and then hoses to the filter mount on the firewall, inner fender, wherever.

nate

--
                  55 Commander Starlight
                  62 Daytona hardtop
                  --
                  55 Commander Starlight

Comment

I am re-installing an oil filter on my 289 too and wondered what size
                    restrictor to use.

Can somebody quote an orafice size?
                    Thanks

Comment

Working...
                    X