Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

HELP, OWNERs 55 Stude V8 w/automatic tranny DG250M

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP, OWNERs 55 Stude V8 w/automatic tranny DG250M

I need immediate help from owner's of 55 Studebaker V8 w/automatic (3-band, Borg Warner DG-250-M) trannies.

1. On the driver's side just rearward of the bellhousing there is an assy called ~ LOW/REV INTERMEDIATE SERVO ASSY and it has a part number that is vertically-oriented reading it UP, and should read something like "25- _ _ _", I believe. Please post what yours reads.

{e.g., for a DG-200, mine reads, "20-517"}

2. Also, on the rear of the tranny there is a TAILSHAFT ASSY w/gov, and the part number reads horizontally.

On a DG-200, e.g., mine reads "20-705"

Please post what yours is and verify that yours has a "25- _ _ _", or whatever yours reads.

THANKS-a-million

John => jgw2@bellsouth.net

Thanks for the note, maybe someone with the proper traney will answer. Good luck with the project, a little information will get you started.

Comment

I've just looked at 2 different DG-250Ms I have here. Both have a casting# that reads 20-517DP on that servo housing.

I couldn't find the number on the rear section but to tell the truth, I didn't look too hard. It was cold (by California standards)[8D], dark, and one of the trannies didn't like being disturbed after all this time and it drew blood from my right pinkie.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President 2-dr
      1955 President State
      1951 Champion Biz cpe
      1963 Daytona project FS
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

We call them vampire trannies.

Comment

Thanks, Bob, and sorry about your hurting yourself. The location of the tailshaft extension ID is found and viewed looking forward towards the bellhousing; now, below and to the left of the output shaft or the hole where the yoke slides in.

I am very surprised that the first 2 numbers aren't "25" (DG-250M); mercy me.

Thanks again for your efforts!

John

Comment

Bob, I hope you'll have time to attain the part # for the tailshaft housings (assumed to be the same); thanks again for your efforts!

John[8D]

Comment

OK - OK... I went back out to look. The numbers on the DG-250's rear end are 20-705. But then, so's the number on the rear of a DG-150 that I have here. And it's servo housing also says 20-517DP. Maybe this is because it's a 54 or 55 DG-150. I don't know what vintage it is. It was just a "core" tranny that was given to me.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe
              1957 President 2-dr
              1955 President State
              1951 Champion Biz cpe
              1963 Daytona project FS
              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

TAIL HOUSING CASTING # (DG-250 e-mail source): 20-7051
                (I wonder if the "1" implies first gear start?)

BORG WARNER #: J.20-7049

JAGUAR #: 7371

STUDEBAKER #: 529776

-------------------------------------------------------
                SERVO HOUSING CASTING #: 20-517DP (Double Piston, apparently)

BORG WARNER #: J.20-517/D

JAGUAR #: 6828

STUDEBAKER #: 535234 (DG-150, DG-150M, DG-200M & DG-250M)

and #: 529710 (DG-200)

-------------------------------------

Parts just rec'd, supposedly from DG-250M & no DG-250M case:

1. tail housing, # 20-705

2. SERVO, casting # 20-525DP (517 v. 525?) (double piston)

3. VALVE BODY has these 2 #'s: 20-5422 & 20-5613 (mystudebaker.com has the # 537796)
                -------------------------------------
                CONCLUSION:
                The DG-250 parts rec'd will not physically fit my DG-200 case. I initially ordered a DG-250M donor tranny for good hard parts to replace my damaged parts AND so I could have 1st-gear start. I was send an excellent DG-200 tranny, supposedly 1st-gear start, but was told later it would cause my tranny to fail. Therefore, I can't waste any more time with this project, and I'll put my original valve body back in the tranny and it will stay 2nd-gear start. All the unuseable parts go back at his expense, plus he owes me $120, the way I see it.
                What a disaster!

[V]

Comment

Your DG-200 will start in first if you start in LOW or with the throttle floored. Then just shift to Drive (if starting in Low) at the appropriate time. I have done this, but it is best to just replace the DG-200 with a DG-250. I've done several ('55 transmission in '53 car) and it used to be common.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Donor (replacement) DGs are getting tough to find nowdays, Gary.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe
                    1957 President 2-dr
                    1955 President State
                    1951 Champion Biz cpe
                    1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

Tougher than they used to be, Bob/MrBiggs, but probably not as tough here in the rust belt as where you live.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

We struck a deal (refund of $120 since I didn't get the first gear start or DG-250 initially) and all the unused DG-200 parts, plus the unused DG-250 parts will be returned at his cost.

On Friday the transmission place repairing my original DG-200 called and have the original DG-200 tranny reinstalled and working properly, however, they have ruffled my feathers with excessive, fraudulent and deceptive over charges, and what I consider mistreatment of this customer. Bill of over $2600, including a charge to clean my "tranny cooler" of $59 + tax. hehe What cooler; this one is air cooled?! These business folks are really something, at least the ones I've been running into lately. Mike Dotson, ATR, Anaconda, MT, quoted me $900 to rebuild it. Initially these folks told me "nte $1500".

Monday, I'll go in there with hidden tape recorder and proceed to do battle. I hope to change their mind.
                        [u]</u>

Comment

I have notes from chat groups and email I receive. I believe the first gear start DG's have the "M" appended. My Dg250M starts in 1st and from a light, I can beat the pants off a lot of new rice burners for the first 100 yards or so

RJ
                          55Pres
                          64Hawk
                          70 Avanti
                          64 GT Hawk (K7)
                          1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Welcome aboard, Bob! Don't be a stranger here. We could benefit from your expertise. How about posting your fine website's link for these guys to benefit from???

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                            1960 Larkvertible V8
                            1958 Provincial wagon
                            1953 Commander coupe
                            1957 President 2-dr
                            1955 President State
                            1951 Champion Biz cpe
                            1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

Hi Bob,
                              Happy Holidays....
                              You're right, I don't frequent this site enough, but I will be looking in a bit more. I thought that retirement would give me all the time to do a lot of things...... Not!
                              One of the biggest chores, is getting my ride ready for our Lincoln Highway Tour, in 2007. This project has turned into a rendition of "The Flight of the Phoenix", replacing the C-119 with a 64 GT Hawk. The only reason it cast a shadow was fresh paint over the oxidation....

Speaking of shadows, my website is merely, one of it's former self. I don't have all the space that's needed to hold it, so the routine is to constantly move stuff on and off and around. I'm working on a new 'seat of operations'. Maybe, early, next year. In the meantime it's
                              http://patriot.net/~jonroq/

Best Wishes..
                              64 GT Hawk (K7)
                              1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Working...
                              X