This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to store a V8 crank

I just got my hands on a 289 crank, I can't use it right now so I need to know the best way to store it. Right now I have it standing up on end, is this ok?? Or should it be layed flat?? I heard once that 3 main cranks could bend under their own weight, but this is not a 3 main, but a 5, so what is right??
    Thanks!

(2) 1955 Presidents

Keep them in their Stude boxes it has wood supports for the mains.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Alan

Keep them in their Stude boxes it has wood supports for the mains.
      Alan, that would be fine and dandy if I HAD the stude box.....but I don't have one.
      Thanks!

(2) 1955 Presidents

Comment

I have tried to hang them from under my bench by fabricating some Z shaped brackets, I've had them in boxes , laying around on the floor and even throwing them at the dog it dosn't seem to make any difference other than which end has the dust on it.

Comment

If I don't have a box for it, I stand them on end, lightly sprayed with oil (NOT WD-40) and covered with a plastic bag of some sort. But I don't think you have to worry about it bending in any position![}] Heck the ones in a factory box are laying down in the box without any special supports!

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President 2-dr
          1955 President State
          1951 Champion Biz cpe
          1963 Daytona project FS
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I coat mine with Cosmoline spray (if the journal surfaces are worth saving), put them in a thick trash bag tie wrapped closed, and stand on end. THEN.....I take a rope and tie the crank to something (leg of one of the workbenches works well for me), because it will get knocked over eventually!!<G>

Paul

Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: http://hometown.aol.com/r1skytop/myhomepage/index.html
            Paul
            Winston-Salem, NC
            Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
            Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Paul observes: "THEN.....I take a rope and tie the crank to something (leg of one of the workbenches works well for me), because it will get knocked over eventually!!<G>"
              Oh baby! and when that eventuality finally arrives, it invariably ends with the crankshaft's tumble being softened by your foot![xx(]
              OK, so it was my WIFE'S foot. I STILL suffered for that event!!![}][xx(][V]

Now that I think about it - I can't remember which incident I got more backlash for. Was it when my genuine *** fighter plane propellor blade fell on her foot or when the 289 crank got her? I sure ta hell ain't gonna ask her to find out!

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe
              1957 President 2-dr
              1955 President State
              1951 Champion Biz cpe
              1963 Daytona project
              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Biggs wrote:
                Now that I think about it - I can't remember which incident I got more backlash for. Was it when my genuine *** fighter plane propellor blade fell on her foot or when the 289 crank got her? I sure ta hell ain't gonna ask her to find out!

Does she detect a pattern yet?

Dwain G.
                Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Well Dwain - she's a hell of alot more wary when she enters my "domain" now![:0]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe
                  1957 President 2-dr
                  1955 President State
                  1951 Champion Biz cpe
                  1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback. I put grease all over the bearing surfaces, and wrapped it up in a big sheet and put it in a box and sat it up. The crank was ground and should be in perfect shape to install, whenever that is. Thanks!

(2) 1955 Presidents

Comment

Oh mains were ground .010 and rods were ground .020

1955 President

Job: Student @ Penn State
                      Love of Studebakers?: High

Comment

Working...
                      X