Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Flight-o-matic Torque Converter

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flight-o-matic Torque Converter

Does the '65 Commander Flightomatic transmission take a special Studebaker torque converter or is there a Ford tc that will work?

Studebaker only.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
    64 GT Hawk
    64 R2 4 speed Challenger
    63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
    53 Street rod
    JDP Maryland

Comment

So if I want to change to a high stall tc, I will probably have to change the whole trans?[xx(]

Comment

The torque convertors for 65 & 66 are different from earlier Stude FOMs because they don't have the starter ring gear integral with the T/C. Instead, they have the gear incorporated into what amounts to the flex plate. You could have your tranny's T/C rebuilt to high stall specs if you want. I know of a shop in the Los Angeles area that will do one for $165+shipping.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President 2-dr
        1955 President State
        1951 Champion Biz cpe
        1963 Daytona project FS
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

What Stall speeds are availiable??? Thanks Tom

Comment

If you want to change the stall speed of a torque converter that you have you can take it to a shop where that can be done. I'm not sure how it is accomplished but have been told it is not too big a deal.
            Tim K.
            Tim K.
            \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

Tom, the stock Stude Flight-o-Matic convertor can be taken as high as 2400. The one's I had done are 2200.

BTW, dcoffld, you didn't say if your 65 Commander was a 6 or an 8. Maybe a silly question, but the tranny's for the 6 and 8 are totally different! All of what I've said here, so far, relates to a V8 Flight-o-Matic!

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe
              1957 President 2-dr
              1955 President State
              1951 Champion Biz cpe
              1963 Daytona project FS
              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

It's an 8. I don't know that I will need the high stall, but was just checking in case.

Comment

Working...
                X