Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Hawk steering gear ratio

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawk steering gear ratio

Does anyone know what the steering box gear ratio is on a V-8 Hawk? The parts book shows it on the lark types (20:1 and 24:1 but not the hawks.

53commander HDTP
    53 Champion HDTP
    61 Cursed Purple Hawk
    64 Champ long bed V8
    64 GT

I believe that it is 24:1. Whatever it is, it is effectively 109/120 slower than the same ratio on an Avanti or a 2 door Lark. (Yes I know 109 and 120 are not the exact numbers but close enough.) By that I mean the ratio represents degrees of steering wheel movement for one degree of wheel movement. On a longer wheelbase car like the Hawk a degree of wheel movement results in less turning response than it would on a shorter wheelbase car.

I have found that a modified steering system with about 16:1 is nice on a Hawk with power steering.

David L
    David L

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 64Avanti

I believe that it is 24:1. Whatever it is, it is effectively 109/120 slower than the same ratio on an Avanti or a 2 door Lark. (Yes I know 109 and 120 are not the exact numbers but close enough.) By that I mean the ratio represents degrees of steering wheel movement for one degree of wheel movement. On a longer wheelbase car like the Hawk a degree of wheel movement results in less turning response than it would on a shorter wheelbase car.

I have found that a modified steering system with about 16:1 is nice on a Hawk with power steering.

David L
      By saying modified, what do you mean?

53commander HDTP
      53 Champion HDTP
      61 Cursed Purple Hawk
      64 Champ long bed V8
      64 GT
      64 Champ long bed V8
      55/53 Studebaker President S/R
      53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

Working...